Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Virus Warning: The Sober Worm is Back

Just when you thought we had seen the last of the Sober Worm, it has made a comeback of epic proportions. Some evil virus writers have resurrected the Sober worm with a new variant that is spreading quickly over the Internet.

Security experts said yesterday that the worm, dubbed Sober.M, reports e-mail addresses of victims back to its anonymous author, a technique known as harvesting. Spammers typically buy these fresh addresses to add to their lists of e-mail recipients. Here is what the e-mail looks like:

Subject Line: I've got your e-mail on my account.

Message text:
Hello,First, Very Sorry for my bad English.Someone is sending your private e-mails on my address.It's probably an e-mail provider error!At time, I've got over 10 mails on my account, but the recipient are you. I have copied all the mail text in the windows text-editor for you & zipped then. Make sure, that this mails don't come in my mail-box again. bye

Attached file: your_text.zip

Anti-Virus company Sophos said that the new Sober variant was the fifth most reported virus over the last 24 hours, closely followed by versions of Zafi and Netsky. It's thought that all the major antivirus companies are now offering protection against the worm, so you may need to update your virus protection.

No comments: