Monday, January 15, 2007

Some Follow-ups

Every once in a while, I like to write a follow-up blog about items I have written in the past and give you some updates. This is one of those days.

Microsoft Office Accounting 2007
This is the free small business accounting software from Microsoft I told you about on 11/8/06. I did download it and played with it for some time...and let me tell you this is a very good piece of software. Rather than some obscure traditional accounting programs that are out there and only a CPA can understand, this program bears a close resemblance to Quickbooks, and works just as well....and is a whole lot cheaper (try free). If you are in business or going to start a business in 2007, give this free software a look. It is very, very good.

System Suite 7
I wrote about this one on 12/24/06, even though I had not received it as yet. Of course, I have received it and used it. It is a good piece of software and I recommend it. If you remember, I bought it mainly for the ability to clean up my Windows XP registry on all our computers. So far, I have run it on three computers and all three are loading Windows much faster these days, cutting down on wait time between turning the computer on and when I can actually use it.

It also has a great feature for reviewing your startup programs to help you get rid of those items you don't need (thereby freeing up more memory). After each startup item, it lists its purpose and tells you whether you really need it or not.

Another program that came with the software was V-Com's Anti-Spam, a good program that cleans up your spam e-mail's before they get to your computer. If you use Thunderbird or Outlook Express, this one would really help you.

There are a couple of things that I have had problems with (it comes with over 60 different programs), but it is still a good piece of software...and you get three licenses with it for three computers.

CounterSpy
I've written about this program on several occasions and still like it very much. The new Version 2 is currently in beta testing. However, I did discover one thing about it that I don't like very much. In using System Suite 7, I became more aware of how much memory each program takes. I discovered that if you have "Active Protection" running with Counterspy, it takes up almost 200 Mbs of memory.

That means if you have 1 GB of system memory, 20% of it is used to run Counterspy...almost 40% if you only have 512 Mb of memory in your computer. That is way too much. I solved the problem by disabling the Active Protection. My computer is still protected as I run Counterspy every night automatically to scan my system for any new problems.

By the way, you don't need any additional software to see your memory usage. With Windows XP, just hold down the Control, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time. That will bring up the Windows Task Manager. Then, just click on the Performance tab and your physical memory usage will be displayed in the lower right corner. If you click on the Processes tab, you can see how much memory each running program is using.

IPhone
I wrote about this new device from Apple last week. It was, by far, the #1 subject of conversation at both CES in Vegas and the MacWorld show in San Francisco. In less than a week, the naysayers and doubters are already out. Here is an interesting article entitled "Thirteen Reasons to Doubt the iPhone." It is good reading, if such things interest you.

FolderShare
This might just be best software I have used this year. I wrote about this one on 12/5/06. If you remember, it allows you to synch your various computers so they always have the same data at all times. It has changed the way I use my computers for the better. For instance, I can update my calendar at home, and when I get to work, my office computer has all the same information. I have tested it and it synchronizes your files almost instantaneously.

I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my main computer automatically every night. When that computer was at home, I could also backup all of Susan's documents. When I opened my studio, the computer and the external backup drive moved downtown. I had no way to backup Susan's stuff. Now, with FolderShare, her data is backed up almost as soon as she does a save, even though the backup drive is at the studio. This is the greatest invention since sliced bread and I can't recommend it enough.

Misc.
Regarding my blog in December about the new Yahoo TV...I am still waiting for it to load.

I am also still waiting to hear from Microsoft to see if they will bribe me with a new laptop.

No comments: