Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Better Uninstaller

Sorry that my art show schedule prevents me from keeping up with my blogging. These days I am home for two nights and on the road for five. Lately, I have been in Leavenworth where there is no Wi-Fi to get on line. But, I managed to find a few minutes to write this one for you.

Some time ago, I wrote about some of my favorite free utilities. One of them was ZSoft Uninstaller. And while it is still a very fine piece of software, I believe I have found a better one.

The uninstalling software that I now consider my favorite is the Revo Uninstaller. It also is a free utility program that you can download from either download.com or the Revo Web site. Why do I now recommend Revo?

First, it is a more thorough uninstaller as it even goes out and looks throughout your computer for any bits and pieces that a program may leave behind when it is removed...including the registration files. It then removes those remnants completely. For instance, when I removed an old version of Adobe Reader, it found many, many instances in the registry where it left remnants behind and gave me the option of removing them.

The second reason I like it so much is that it lists on your screen all the programs that are installed...far more than the Zsoft program does. When I ran it on one of my older computers, it found tons of stuff I had forgotten was even there. This makes it so easy when you finally sit down to clean out your computer.

Third, it has what is called a "Hunter Mode." This is a special, innovative feature that, with a single click of the mouse, give you the flexibility to uninstall, stop or delete a program, prevent it from loading at startup, or get information about it. Very handy.

There are also several other tools that are included with the program that you can find out about on the company's Web Site. I give this program my highest rating and suggest you download it ASAP.

No comments: