Friday, September 17, 2010

What I Use–Part 3

This is a continuation of the article I started two weeks ago on the hardware and software I personally use on my computers. As I said last week, I hope you find it of value.

1. Boot-up Management: This is a recent and welcome addition to my arsenal. Soluto is a new software, still in beta, that will help you improve your boot-up times by analyzing what your computer is loading, then making recommendations on what can be eliminated or even loaded later after your computer is finished booting. Works like a dream and I was able to cut my boot sequence times by at least half.

2. Backup Software: This is one of the most critical areas in your entire arsenal of computer software. The most important thing you can remember is that the hard drive where you store your data is going to die…not if, but when. Therefore you must backup your data…and to more than just one place. I use the 3-2-1 rule of backup…it must be backed up in 3 places; it must be stored on 2 different types of media; and at least 1 backup must be off-site.

As you will see, I am a freak for backups and I make it a rule to back up at least once a day. I have 5 external hard drives, 2 of which are kept off-site. I don’t want to lose my data. As a professional photographer, I have thousands of photos I never want to lose. I also have thousands of music files, original digital paintings…not to mention documents, spreadsheets, financial data and more. You get the idea.

Now there are different types of backups…the standard file-by-file backup, file synchronization, cloud backup, and disk imaging backup. Here is what I use for these.

a. File by File and Synchronization backups – for both of these I use one program that works perfectly for me. Syncback SE is another free program that allows you to make backups or sync two drives so that the files are identical. It backs up files so that you can see them individually, rather than having a single file filled with data that doesn’t show you what you have backed up and only works (hopefully) when you restore it. Each backed up file is as usable as the original file and if there is an error, you are notified. I have programmed the individual back-ups or file syncs, organized them into groups and have the groups automatically run every night. If there is a problem, I am notified.

b. Disk Imaging Backup – This specialized type of backup is used to make a perfect image of your hard drive…then if your hard drive dies, you install a new hard drive and copy the image over to the new drive…and you are back up and running. I have an image backup of all three of my computers. I was using a program made by Macrium, but it failed me the other day when I used it to restore a drive. So, now I only use the imaging software that comes built-in with Windows 7. I know from experience it works perfectly. The best way to use it is to install your operating system and your favorite programs, and then image the drive.

c. Cloud Backup – For this I use Dropbox. This great software gives me 2 Gb worth of free backup into the cloud for extra protection. But it also serves a second and greater purpose…it syncs the data between my desktop and both my portable computers…so whatever is done on any of my computers is automatically sent to the cloud, then to my other computers when they are on. Syncing is done on a continuous basis whenever a file is changed.

3. Virus and Spyware Protection: Here, for this most important of my utility programs I use two free program: Microsoft’s Security Essentials for virus, Trojan horse and worm protection; and SuperAntiSpyware for spyware protection. Both are free. Security Essentials gives you protection over most malware, including some of the really bad spyware. But SuperAntiSpyware covers the small little advertising-based spyware that wants to know what I do and where I go on the Web. None of their business. Security Essentials has caught a few pieces of nasty bugs that try to get into my machine. For instance, not long ago it caught one site trying to download malware attached to its Web page. Both products do their jobs nicely, and, as I said, are free. SuperAntiSpyware does require a bit more manual work, but it is worth it.

To be Continued Next Week…

No comments: