Thursday, November 15, 2012

Focus on the New Age of TV

One area where the age of information and high speed communications is still old school is the TV content business. The business model used by cable and satellite TV providers was written many years ago when channels were fewer and choices were less.  But even though times have changed, content providers have not. They still want to make you pay for hundreds of channels you will never watch.

But times are-a-changin’. There’s Hulu and Fancast that have episodes of TV series on the Net. Then there’s devices like the Roku box that have hundreds of choices, but let you select the ones you want. Throw in Apple TV, Google TV, Netflix, and Amazon and you got more channels and choices than you can ever watch.

For me, I have a Roku box and free cable TV via Dish (it comes built-in to my apartment). But to be honest, I pretty much only watch sports events and PBS on my cable. On my Roku box I have Netflix, Amazon, CNET TV, TWIT TV (both those channels of shows dedicated to technology) and a few others, not to mention Pandora for my Music. I can watch episodes of TV shows (admittedly not the current episodes) as well as movies.

Admittedly, since I left Washington State, my movies and TV viewing has gone way down. There is so much to do here in Tucson that TV has lost some of its importance. There is just not that much time anymore for it. But that is me.

Still I am intrigued by the future of TV which is still cloudy, but I expect cable and satellite companies to put up one hell of a fight to keep things the way they are. But can they?

There is some non-TV stories in here also, so have at it! -JRC

Yes, the FBI and CIA can read your email. Here's how

"Petraeus-gate," some U.S. pundits are calling it. How significant is it that even the head of the CIA can have his emails read by an albeit friendly domestic intelligence agency, which can lead to his resignation and global, and very public humiliation? Here's how.

Windows 8 protected from 85% of malware detected in the past six months, right out the box

0-day vulnerabilities are already being claimed, but what about the malware that’s already out there? Windows 8 certainly isn’t perfect, but it’s definitely come a long way. (See? I can post nice things about Windows 8)

From Windows 8 to Windows 7: why I downgraded

Windows 8 is certainly an ambitious effort on the behalf of Microsoft, but it seems I'm missing something that's keeping me from enjoying it and I'm curious to see who feels the same.

Atty. Sues Microsoft Over Paltry Surface Storage

A consumer-rights lawyer in Los Angeles discovered a 32GB Surface tablet really only has about 16GB of space available for user storage. And Microsoft admits he is correct.

Over the top: the new war for TV is just beginning

There is a nation of potential cord cutters looking for an excuse to stop paying Comcast for 500 channels they don't really want

Living with Google TV: jack of all trades, master of none

I've spent nearly a month using Google TV as the primary way of getting entertainment to the television in my living room. Not once during that time did the experience delight me, it often managed to get the job done, and all too often it frustrated me and stymied my efforts to just watch something.

Living with Apple TV: you get what you pay for

Spending a week with only the Apple TV reminded me that it’s still largely lacking some crucial elements — gaming, live sports and news, and a variety of free entertainment apps.

Google Music vs iTunes vs Spotify vs Amazon vs Xbox Music vs Music Unlimited

This was written for the UK audience but it contains valuable information about the major music services.

Exploring Windows’ Administrative Tools: Part 5

The Services tool is one of Windows’ Administrative Tools, a suite of professional-quality, system-management utilities used to adjust and control many of the operating system’s essential functions and features. Note: links to the other 4 articles included.

5 Must Have Productivity Windows Apps

Achieving productivity is tough, but maintaining it is tougher. In this world full of stress and distractions even doing simple things can be very difficult. Thus having things which can help you enhance your productivity is a really wise idea.

No comments: