Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Troublesome Numbers for Microsoft

Happy New Year from me to you. I hope you enjoyed your holiday…I know I sure did. I went and visited my son and his new lady friend over in Yuma. Had a great time…and the Yuma Clause was very good to me.

I now have an iPhone 5 which I really like and a new Blu-Ray player to go with the new hi-def TV I game myself for Christmas. It was so great to see football this week in hi-def for the first time in my own home. Wow!

I’ve been back home from Yuma for a few days, but tomorrow I head out again…this time for a month in the Bay Area again. I will be house sitting and dog sitting for my friends the Millers while they try to have a good time in Hawaii. I will try to keep my blogs going, but I figure I can only do one a week until I get back home in February. But I promise to keep it interesting.

What did you miss while I was on Christmas break? Not much…that is why I took it off. Nothing going on in the tech world. But I have gathered some interesting stories here along with some good info for your new devices. Microsoft continues to have problems with Windows 8 as there adoption numbers are even worse than they predicted. No surprise there. And I am glad Google continues their free phone service for 2013.

So with all that said, let’s move on!! - JRC

Windows 8 adoption rate is slower than Vista and way behind than Windows 7

This is shocking. Despite a blockbuster launch and a whole new range of products it seems that the consumers aren’t feeling the need to upgrade to Windows 8 after all.

Win8 share reached 1.72% in December

In case you're wondering, Win7 was the most popular version of Windows last December with a 45.11% usage share. Windows XP was second with 39.08%, and Vista was a distant third with a puny 5.67% share, according to Net Applications.

150 Best Windows Apps Of Year 2012

Here is a list of the top 150 free applications that we have cherry-picked from the countless we covered through the entire year.

Free Calling for Gmail Users Extended through 2013

Users with Internet connection and a microphone can make calls to any phone from within the email client. An option to "Call phone," indicated by a phone-receiver icon, is part of Google Chat's menu; when clicked, a pop-up with a dial pad appears.

2013: The best guesstimates for the year ahead

Will machine-to-machine connections be the next cloud and big data (at least in terms of tech marketing)? Will cloud finally kill server sales? And Windows 8 and RIM's fate remain the wild cards of 2013.

Is your TV watching you? Latest models raise concerns

The devices themselves, similar than ever to a personal computer, may allow hackers or even Samsung to see and hear you and your family, and collect extremely personal data.

You have a new TV. Now what?

A new TV is a great thing. A new TV, right after it's taken out of the box, is not. To get the most out of your TV you need to adjust the settings, use the right cables, adjust your sources (like your cable box) and more.

5 Best Note Taking Apps That Sync Across All Devices

I love apps that can be seen on all your devices. Note-taking apps are a dime a dozen, and picking the right service isn't really easy and can be quite a task. Here are some hand-picked best note taking apps that sync across all your devices including PC, mobile and tablets and are available for free.

Six things every new iPad (or iPhone) owner should do immediately

So you got a new iPad (or iPhone) as a holiday gift huh? Here's some things that you should do right now to keep your new gadget safe.

12 Tips for Troubleshooting Your Internet Connection

Even though your router is one of the most useful tech devices you own, it can also be one of the most troublesome.

No comments: