Thursday, April 11, 2013

Damn! I Really Wanted a Microsoft-Free Day

I was reminded today just how far tech has come in my lifetime. I sat at the pool on another glorious Tucson day alternately watching the Giants/Cubs game and Round 1 of the Masters…both in hi-def on my iPad. I was also playing Angry Birds Rio on my iPhone and had my Kindle at-hand in case I got bored.

I thought to myself that all these tech tools that keep me entertained and informed are only a few years old. Not that long ago, all I could do was bring a book to the pool, or a portable radio to listen to a baseball game. I see college kids at the pool doing their homework and takings tests on their laptops and tablets. I am told many college courses require a computer and a connection to the Internet…or you can’t take the class. When I went to college, all I had was a typewriter.

Believe me, I am not saying those were the good old days…far from it. I love most of the tech innovations that are now so ingrained in our lives. It’s just that every so often I remember where we were and where we are now. It’s a form of nostalgia, but in reverse. Can’t wait to see what I will take to the pool next year.

I don’t mean to continually beat-up on Microsoft, but things just keep happening that make news for Microsoft…mostly bad. I will be the first to admit I am angry at Microsoft. Not because I want to be…far from it.

I have been using Microsoft products since the 1980’s to get things done on computers. Most of what I do in business, photography and writing could not have been done without the forward thinking of Microsoft and their products…from DOS to Windows to Office and more. In fact, this blog is written using Microsoft Writer…the best blogging tool out there. Microsoft has been my champions…and for years I looked forward to their next set of innovations.

Then along comes Windows 8. Was I looking forward to it? You bet. I even installed the first test version on one of my computers. But, they let me (and you) down…big time. What they are trying to foist on us now just gets in the way of productivity. They’ve changed everything…and not for the better. They changed it for the sake of change. And they keep moving forward with it, saying this is their future…whether we like it or not…and we don’t.

I don’t know what happened to common sense in Redmond. Its like the company is being run by drunken sailors, making changes that make no sense. It makes me angry and also sad. It’s why I now have an iPad and an iPhone. They work and they work well.

I pray to God some changes are made at Microsoft soon to get them back on the right track. My desktop computer is still my most used tech tool. I want it to have a workable future.

Besides the bad news about Microsoft, there are good stories and informative articles here that just might help you out. Thanks for reading. -JRC

IRS claims it can read your e-mail without a warrant

The ACLU has obtained internal IRS documents that say Americans enjoy "generally no privacy" in their e-mail messages, Facebook chats, and other electronic communications.

IDC shows Windows 8 is actively destroying PC sales

Windows 8 is an unimaginably bad OS but you know that. How bad is it? According to no less than IDC’s VP of Clients and Displays it flat-out killed the market.

The death of the PC: Invented by Apple, accelerated by Microsoft

Apple's iPad was designed to change computing, but Microsoft's bungling of Windows dramatically hastened the progress

Five operating system alternatives to Windows 8 and XP

Windows XP's end of life-support is in sight and not everybody wants Windows 8. So, what are your other choices?

Google launches an Inactive Account Manager to help users plan their ‘digital afterlife'

Google launched a new tool called Inactive Account Manger today, which is designed to help users protect or delete their data in the event that they pass away or can no longer access their account.

Surprise: Rep. Bob Goodlatte Thinks The Justice Department Is Too Cozy With Hollywood

Based on his past record, it is interesting to see Goodlatte less-than-happy about some aspect of the DOJ and Hollywood's close and personal relationship.

How to Take Better Photos With Your Smartphone

It won't replace a dedicated digital camera, but that smartphone in your pocket probably has a pretty capable camera. Here's how to up the quality of your cell phone snaps—without relying on Instagram-type filters.

Free Amazon Web Services -- and how to make the most of them

If you avoid some gotchas and keep a close eye on resource usage, you can have a handy server in the Amazon cloud for free.

Get Organized: 15 Productivity Tips From Experts

Who knows productivity practices better than the people who make productivity and task-management apps? Four experts share some advice on how they stay productive.

A dozen tools for removing almost any malware

Need to get a system clean of malware and/or verify that it’s completely malware-free? Use one or more of these free tools to clean up even the worst malware infections — and keep PCs clean.

MusicZen - Freeware download

MusicZen is an easy to use MP3 organizer that enables you to organize your MP3 collection into folders named after the artist, album and year information.

No comments: