Thursday, August 15, 2013

Once Again Microsoft Makes Good News…And Bad

Last time, I published a strongly substantiated rumor that the new Windows 8.1 would not be released until mid October. That rumor has now been confirmed by Microsoft…October18 to be exact. I hope I can put up with Windows 8 on my laptop until then…since my laptop is all I will be using for the next month as I head north to the San Francisco Bay Area to housesit (and dog sit).

I will still be putting out this blog during that time, but probably on a more sporadic basis. Sorry, but it is a vacation of sorts. Will be going to a Giants game and the opening day game for the 49ers…among other things. So I will be a bit busy. But I won’t leave you totally in the lurch. 

Back to other news…on Patch Tuesday, two days ago, Microsoft released six bad patches. I am sure they will be fixing those soon. I also mentioned last time about an article I read regarding the end-of-life for Windows XP and how hackers will take advantage of this. I decided to include the whole article in this edition as it is important (story #4).

There is lots more here so I will let you read it for yourself while I get back to my packing. I will see you soon. -JRC

Windows 8.1 shipping, online and physically, on October 18th

Windows 8.1 will be available as a free update to all existing Windows 8 users, downloaded and installed through the Windows Store.

Microsoft confirms Skype will be bundled with Windows 8.1

Skype is joining the growing set of Microsoft-developed consumer apps that will ship 'in the box' with Windows 8.1.

Microsoft botches six Windows patches in latest Automatic Update

In an amazing tour de force, Microsoft's Automatic Update chute released at least six bad patches on Tuesday. Here's what's amazing: It's just 48 hours or so since the bomb bay doors opened, and Microsoft has acknowledged problems with all of these patches.

XP's retirement will be hacker heaven

Hackers will bank bugs until after Microsoft retires Windows XP in April 2014; expect attacks, say security experts

Google Search Gets More Personal, Now Lets You Find Your Flight Info, Reservations, Photos And More

Google today announced a number of search features that make it easier for you to find your own personal information through Google Search.

Word from the street: The next iPhone better wow us

The next iPhone is rumored to be announced in a few weeks and conversations with Apple's customers makes it clear it needs a big wow factor.

Battle of the Office Suites: Microsoft Office and LibreOffice Compared

For a long time, Microsoft Office has been the reigning champ of office suites, but that doesn't mean the free alternative, LibreOffice, isn't worth considering. Let's take a look at how the two compare, and if it's finally possible to ditch the paid option for the free one.

A ‘no-reformat reinstall’ for Windows 8

"Win8′s Refresh your PC without affecting your files feature lets you rebuild your operating system in minutes. A refresh returns Windows 8 to like-new condition while leaving users’ accounts, data, passwords, and personal files intact.

Best cloud storage apps for iPhone and iPad: Dropbox, Google Drive, SugarSync, and more!

Since it's Cloud week on Talk Mobile, and today's all about picking the best cloud for you, we're going to show you the best clouds available for iOS

Scan Any Suspicious File, Or Windows Process, With 40+ Products

VirusTotal is a web-based system that scans any uploaded file with more than 40 different antivirus products."

No comments: