Thursday, October 03, 2013

All About Android (and Google and Kindle)

As the headline suggests, this edition is about all those portable devices that run the Android Operating System (and variations thereof). I had an Android phone up until Christmas when my son gave me the iPhone 5. So I was out of the Android system until just before I went on vacation.

I bought the brand new Nexus 7 tablet running the latest version of Android 4.3. I wanted a lightweight 7” tablet and I wanted to try the Android system that runs the latest Google products…and it had to have a super high resolution screen like my iPad. Am I happy with my purchase? You betcha!

It took a little while to get used Android again as I was so into the iOS system on my iPhone and iPad. But many of the Google/Android apps are so far ahead of Apple’s similar apps that I was pleasantly surprised to see all they could do.

The biggest discovery was Google Now. Its an amazing app that can track your to-do’s and calendar items and advise you on specific topics related to those entries. You don’t have to do a thing except keep your calendar and task list up to date. For instance, I had tickets for a Giants/Red Sox game at AT&T park. Within 24 hours of the game, I started getting traffic advisories for the roads I would have to take to get to the park and how long it would take. And they were accurate (forgot to tell it I was taking BART and not driving).

When I flew home to Tucson via Las Vegas, I got weather updates for both cities and was advised which gates my planes were at. All I did was put my flights into my calendar. The rest happened automatically.

Another app that I love is a program called “Calengoo.” It combines my calendar and to-do’s all in one place to keep me on point. It has many other great apps (many of them available for iOS) too numerous to go into here. The Nexus 7 is a very nice tablet and I don’t hesitate to recommend it.

Do I still use my iPad? I sure do…on a daily basis. It’s a bigger screen and works very well. Choosing between the two would be difficult…thank God I don’t have to. I will say I actually prefer using the iOS operating system as it is much easier and simpler, but the Android system, even with a few quirks here and there, is also very good. It does have a few things, like widgets, that are not in the Apple world.

But enough of me…let’s get on with our review of the Android World. PS, the first story is wonderful as it explains how to use an Android device for newbies. Enjoy!

Svartling Network: Jumper- A Beginners Guide to Android

You’ve been handed a blank slate, half the battle is figuring out what you want to draw on it. That statement may not make sense to you now, but I hope it will when your finished reading this guide.

What To Do When Your Android Phone is Stolen

Android has a lot of great options for protecting and recovering a stolen phone, but you're better off preparing for the worst ahead of time.

Best Android tablets (September 2013 edition)

Tablets are everywhere, and while Apple's iPad – along with its little brother, the iPad mini – commands the most media attention, there's no shortage of excellent Android alternatives to choose from.

Get Organized: Should You Use Google's Inactive Account Manager?

If you die or become incapacitated, who will take over your online accounts? Google's Inactive Account Manager can help you designate executors, but is it right for you?

Google Now update gives card based results

Google recently updated Search to allow for a more unified approach to voice activations. When under the auspice of Google Now, users have become accustomed to saying “Google” before executing a voice search.

Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX: power, with a helping hand

Amazon tablets are on the precipice of becoming something much more powerful, and much more useful besides. Amazon's ready to compete on specs, on content, and on price — and it makes a compelling case in every respect.

How to Use Android and iOS Together

Android and iOS don't always work very happily together. No worries, though; we're here to tell you the best ways to make sure your Nexus 4 and your iPad play nice.

Top Android launcher applications [September 2013]

If you’re not a fan of the stock interface that came with your phone, like Samsung’s TouchWiz or any version of HTC’s Sense, these launchers do an excellent job of giving you a more customizable experience, including altering icons and widgets and applying some great looking themes.

7 great Android apps for notes and tasks

Organize your life with one of these incredibly useful Android applications for keeping track of notes, tasks, and to-do lists.

Five great Android Wi-Fi calling apps

There are many reasons to enjoy Wi-Fi calling, from starting video chats with family far and wide, to giving your old phone a new lease on life as a Wi-Fi-only device in little Johnny's hands. However you want to use it, you still need to know which apps are best.

The Best News Reader Application for Android

Android has several great news readers, and while many of them have gone by the wayside now that Google Reader is no more, others have stepped up to take center stage

Best Free Android Apps

This has simply got to be the best list on the web of high quality free Android Apps. With the latest update we now have 216 apps in 118 categories so why not go grab yourself a big bunch of nifty apps without spending a cent.

Millions of Android users vulnerable to security threats, say feds

Amid ongoing U.S. government mass surveillance claims, the DHS and FBI are more aware than ever of its use of the Android platform, and the vulnerabilities that go with it.

No comments: