Thursday, June 05, 2014

Farewell Forever to Android Tablets and iOS8 Revisited

I finally did it! After months of frustration and waking up daily to a nearly dead Nexus 7 tablet…then trying to make it work the way I wanted, I sold it to Gazelle.com. I lost a fair amount of money on the deal, but I was never going to use it again…so what the heck!

Realize that the Nexus 7 was designed by Google and offered the best features of the Android world. Trust me…they can’t hold a candle to Apple. There are so many issues with Android that I swear I won’t even buy an Android phone in the future. I have talked with other people with Android tablets and phones and they all had the same issues as me.

The other big news for me was I sold my iPad-3 tablet to a friend and used the money from him and Gazelle to purchase the latest iPad Air. That is my only tablet now and I love it! It is light as a feather and offers the latest improvements in Apple Tablets. I was shocked how light it was, weighing in at one pound…about 35% less than my old iPad. What a pleasure to use!

Something else I did in the last couple of days was revisit the Apple Keynote address from Monday. This time I watched it with commentary from four Apple experts. Remember in my last blog, I said the developer portion of the keynote almost put me to sleep? Well, the experts gave me a whole new appreciation of what Apple was doing for developers.

The bottom line is that Apple opened up previously denied sections of iOS so developers can now make better apps than ever before. According to the experts, this is huge! Whenever iOS 8 is released, we will begin to see some incredible apps for iPads and iPhones as the developers now have all these new tools in their hands including a whole new developer language. Something definitely to look forward to!

In reading the above paragraphs, it sounds like I have become an Apple Fanboy. Nope…not a chance. I still run Windows on my desktop and laptop. Only my phone and tablets are Apple. That’s a lot, I grant you, but I have learned to integrate the two operating systems together quite well. And lest you think I am abandoning the world of Android in this blog, nothing could be further from the truth. I will continue to cover it as best I can as so many of you use Android products.

So that is my rant and rave for today. Now…on with the show. -JRC

 

Technology News and Opinions

On 6/5, 65 Things We Know About NSA Surveillance That We Didn’t Know a Year Ago

It’s been one year since the Guardian first published the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court order, leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, that demonstrated that the NSA was conducting dragnet surveillance on millions of innocent people.

Data problems could jeopardize 2 million Obamacare signups

That means one in four Americans who signed up for health insurance online may find their coverage isn't quite what they thought it was.

Amazon will announce 'amazing' new device on June 18th

CEO Jeff Bezos will unveil the new product at an event in Seattle on June 18th, and Amazon has begun teasing the new product with a video of people's reactions to using it. PS: Expert opinions say this new device is Amazon’s entry into smartphones.

Intel aims to eliminate all PC cables in 2016

Goodbye rat's nest! Intel says wireless power, docking and connectivity will form the basis of its post-Broadwell "Skylake" reference designs.

Inside the US government’s war on tech support scammers

PCCare247 allegedly collected millions in ill-gotten fees. But the FTC fought back. A very revealing story about a tech support company based in India.

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

Shortcuts for working with Win8 (Win7, too)

As with all preceding versions of the OS, Windows 8.1 includes many useful keyboard shortcuts and utilities for quick navigation and file management. You just have to know where to find them

Google Launches 64-bit Version of Chrome for Windows

"It’s worth noting that the 64-bit version is offered by default if you are running a 64-bit flavor of Windows, though the 32-bit version is still available. This suggests Google eventually plans to serve up the 64-bit version of Chrome as the default version for 64-bit Windows users.

Want to be forgotten by Google? Here's how you do it

Google has launched a form where those who want the search giant to stop linking to outdated information about them can file their request.

Go incognito when launching Chrome on Windows

Need to keep your browsing habits private or just trying to avoid cookies? Read on to find out how you can launch Chrome into incognito automatically.

Three free privacy add-ons for Firefox and Chrome

AVG PrivacyFix, Bitdefender TrafficLight, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation's Privacy Badger identify and block ad networks and other entities that track your Web activities.

 

Mobile Computing

Get Organized: 3 Easy Ways to Save Travel Info on Your Phone

In this edition of Get Organized, I'll share three super-simple ways to save your essential travel information locally on your phone so you're never without it.

List of Google Now voice commands

The microphone icon is pulsing. What do you say to your phone? What can you say to it? Google Now's voice function has become surprisingly robust over the years. PS: Many of these will work on iOS also.

Will Apple's Photos app solve 'photo bankruptcy'?

Apple's new app coming for iOS 8 and the Mac looks promising, with cloud backup for all your pictures. Is it the answer we've been waiting for?

Microsoft promises lower prices on Windows tablets, phones

Tablet prices will fall to the $100, $200, and $300 range, a Microsoft vice president tells the Wall Street Journal.

Samsung, Barnes & Noble team up on tablet design

The two companies announced they will launch co-branded tablets with a mouthful of a name: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook. The devices will feature Samsung's hardware and customized Nook software from Barnes & Noble.

No comments: