Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Christmas Disaster in Tucson

My new iMac dropped dead! Or, to put it more accurately, the hard drive in my new iMac dropped dead. After working flawlessly for nearly a month, a fatal flaw reared its ugly head and sent my drive crashing to oblivion.

Of course, I did not know that had happened. I first contacted Apple Support on the phone, and when they could not resolve the problem, they sent me to the Genius Bar of my local Apple Store. Using a series of diagnostic tools, the iMac Genius discovered the hard drive was beyond redemption. The bottom line is my Mac will probably spend Christmas at the Apple Store, waiting for a new hard drive to be installed. It seems they did not have any extras on-hand.

Am I discouraged? Not really…although this will require me to redo all my work from scratch…loading programs and apps and data. I do have a backup that I did using Apple’s Time Machine, so will see if I can restore the computer without too much work.  But if I do have to begin all over, it will go much faster as I now have a better understanding how a MAC differs from a PC.

And speaking of that, I have included a story(#5) from another person like me who made the switch from Windows to MAC. You might find it interesting if you ever consider making the switch yourself. I look forward to getting my machine back so I can continue my education.

PS: This will be the last tech blog the first of the year, as I, and the rest of the tech world take the holidays off. I hope your Christmas and New Years celebrations will be memorable.

 

Tech News and Opinions

FBI blames North Korea for Sony hack

The FBI releases the findings of its four-week investigation into one of the most destructive cyberattacks of a company on US soil.

10 Tech Stories We Couldn't Stop Talking About in 2014

Which tech stories had the biggest impact in 2014, or laid the groundwork for innovation in the years to come?

Did the browser wars finally end in 2014?

After a decade, have the browser wars finally ended? My review of what's new for Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Opera says yes.

Defying Feds, MS tries to keep user data private

Microsoft is currently fighting a federal search warrant demanding that the company release emails stored in Ireland. Here’s why you should be extremely concerned by a U.S. court’s actions — and what you can do about it.

Observations from a new Mac user

So, a few weeks ago, I bought my first Mac. It’s a 13″ retina MacBook Pro, and it is without a doubt the finest computer I’ve ever owned. But, given that I’m coming from the Windows world a lot of things required just a bit of adjustment.

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

How to keep your PC, smartphone, or tablet safe while traveling

When you travel, a whole fleet of electronics come with you. Smartphone and laptop are a given, but there’s a good chance you’re also toting a tablet, and maybe a cellular hotspot or dedicated GPS. All of them are juicy targets for bad guys.

The Best Firefox Add-ons

Firefox is famous for its add-ons, and for good reason: they can make your browser do just about anything. But which add-ons are the most useful? Here are the add-ons we think are best, what they do, and where you can find them.

How to attach real files to Gmail messages, not just links

A new Google Drive tweak lets you attach actual files to outbound email.

How to Make Windows Show File Extensions

If you’re a Windows power user you probably already know how to do this, but for everybody else, it can be useful to see file extensions so that you know for sure what type of file you are dealing with.

LastPass Can Now Automatically Change Your Passwords

LastPass just announced a new feature for the password manager that automatically changes your password for sites when a hack is reported.

 

Mobile Computing

Amazon’s Kindle for iOS app updated w/ Goodreads integration, Audible progressive play, more

The update also adds new ways for users to access information and details about Kindle books.

6 Best Music Streaming Apps for Android

Online music streaming and radio services are now becoming very popular with good internet connectivity on phone with 3G and 4G LTE. These services also have mobile apps which allows you to stream music directly from your phone.

Organize and listen to your own music on the cloud

Want to access your music collection wherever you go? Here's a guide on sorting your tunes and choosing a cloud streaming service to suit your needs.

Best iOS 8 Widgets (And How To Enable)

While widgets in iOS 8 share a lot in common with the ones on Android, the implementation and interactions are totally different.

Top 10 Awesome Features of Google Now

Google Now, the mind-reading personal assistant for iOS and Android, has gotten a ton of updates lately, making it the perfect smartphone companion for...well, anything. Here's a list of the coolest stuff it can do.

No comments: