Thursday, July 30, 2015

Surprise! I Already Had Windows 10…Now Its on 2 Machines

Yesterday morning, after coffee, I opened up my Windows 10 Technical Preview window to see how the new version of Windows 10 looked. And what did I see? Nothing new. No messages, no pop-up Windows, no notifications…nothing. It was Windows 10 as usual. Turns out that the build I received last week was Windows 10 RTM (release to manufacturing). They added a couple of security updates before yesterday, but that was all. I was a little disappointed.

But then came the big surprise. I turned on my PC running Windows 7 and I noticed the little Windows 10 icon in the lower right corner was gone. That was strange. So I clicked on the Windows Update icon in the Control Panel…and there was a message…Windows 10 was ready to load into this machine. WOW! I immediately started the process, without backing up my PC first. Dumb, but it turned out OK.

It took about an hour to do the entire upgrade. I didn’t have to do a thing, except sweat that everything would be alright. After an hour, my home screen popped on. It looked exactly like my Windows 7 screen with a couple of small changes. Everything was exactly where it should be. But, as soon as I clicked on the new start button icon, I knew I had Windows 10.

I played around a bit and found that all my programs worked just fine. No problems at all. I even found that it had included a couple of Windows programs that I had previously downloaded on my test machine. I assumed it recognized me because I used my Microsoft ID. I must admit I was completely impressed with the process and the results. PS: This blog is being written on my Windows 10 PC.

I do suggest you do your backups before you do the upgrade…just to be safe. You can also wait to upgrade to see if there are any problems reported in the media. This Windows 10 is just the beginning. In October, there will some massive updates and additions to it so it will be the Windows 10 that Microsoft first envisioned a couple of years ago.

There is a lot about Windows 10 in this edition, especially in the Computer Tips section. I included some of the basic tips to help you get started. In the next few editions there will be many more. I hope if you do the upgrade, it goes as well for you as it did for me. -JRC  

 

Tech News and Opinions

Scientists have finally discovered massless particles, and they could revolutionize electronics

They can theoretically carry charge 1,000 times faster than ordinary electrons.

 

Critical security flaws patched in latest Chrome release

Google has fixed a number of critical bugs in the new Chrome 44 update across multiple operating systems

 

Wikipedia Encyclopedia as a Printed Book

If someone were to print the entire Wikipedia encyclopedia into a book, the size of the printed book would roughly be equivalent to 2000+ volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Well, its been done.

 

Reported attack on United Airlines shows everyone has valuable data to protect

No longer focused on stealing credit card numbers alone, hackers are flexing seriously dangerous muscle, security experts say.

 

Review: Goodbye, Windows 8; hello, Windows 10

Mary Jo Foley is a reporter covering Microsoft, but no computer nerd. Here is her 'non-reviewer's review' of Windows 10 after using it for a week. Spoiler alert: Her laptop has gone Windows 10 and isn't going back.

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

Getting to Know the New Start Menu in Windows 10

The Start menu in Windows 10 is a blend of the old menu found in Windows 7 and the oft-reviled Start screen in Windows 8. The result is something more useful to desktop and tablet users alike. Here’s a basic primer on what you need to know.

 

How to Get a Windows 7 Start Menu in Windows 10

If you want to try Windows 10 but wish you could have the old Start Menu, your wish has been granted with the just-released version 4.2.2 of Classic Shell.

 

10 Tips to Help You Get the Most Out of Windows 10

Windows 10 builds on the best of Windows 7. Here's how to bend Microsoft's next OS to your will.

 

Windows 10 Feature Focus: Calendar

The Calendar app in Windows connects to multiple accounts and helps you manage your work and personal schedules. Indeed, it only works with online accounts.

 

How to Use Windows 10 Action Center

Action Center is a very useful notification and quick settings sidebar; here's how it works

 

10 new keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10

Most of Windows 10's keyboard shortcuts are the same, but here are a few new ones you'll need to learn.

 

How to downgrade Windows 10 in a few easy steps

If you’ve already taken the plunge, but feel that you would prefer to return to a previous version of Windows, then there is a fast and easy way built into the OS that can restore your old system. In this feature we’ll show you how.

Mobile Computing

Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for

Well it’s about time. Nearly six years after the original Angry Birds burst onto the mobile gaming scene Rovio is back with its official sequel, Angry Birds 2.

 

6 gotta-know sound settings for Android and iOS

Clicking the volume rocker isn't the only way to control the sound on your Android phone or iPhone.

 

How to set-up iCloud on your iPad

One of the more useful ways to get the most out of your iPad is to set-up iCloud during the initial set-up process. Although if, for whatever reason you don't, you can always come back to the set-up procedure at anytime in the Settings app on your iPad.

 

AT&T wants your smartphone to get FM radio

There's an FM radio hidden inside of most smartphones, even though most phones in the US don't actually allow you to use it. But soon, they may start working if you're on AT&T.

 

Two-Factor Authentication: Who Has It and How to Set It Up

Everyone is concerned about online safety these days. Keep your services secure with two-factor authentication.

No comments: