Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Battle With Samsung over Windows 10 Continues

iStock_Computer_On_Fire_000026687122Small [363780]

Windows 10 was released to the public almost 3 months ago. I got it immediately for my HP Desktop; I got it almost immediately on my Apple Desktop (using Parallels); I got it almost immediately on my MacBook Pro laptop. But my Samsung laptop, currently running Windows 8.1, refuses to let me upgrade.

I was gone for almost three weeks up to Northern California, as I told you about last time. I thought sure when I got back I would be able to upgrade. No such luck. I get the same message on the computer that Windows 10 is coming soon. Right!

Finally I got a little upset about this and contacted Samsung online to find out what the heck was going on. A very helpful and knowledgeable customer service agent got on-line with me to try and help. I let him (or her) take over control of my computer to see if my computer was the problem. After 1/2 hour of exploring, downloading software and updates to my laptop, the agent told me that there are no Windows 10 drivers yet for my computer and that I was out of luck…for now.

Apparently if you don’t have the proper drivers for Windows 10, it will not work on Samsung computers. Much like Android phones, Samsung is very proprietary. You do things their way or not at all. Funny how almost every other computer manufacturer created their drivers long before Windows 10 was released. Not Samsung. Three months after Windows 10 was released, there are no drivers for my computer. That is absurd.

Do you remember the story a few months ago about Samsung blocking the Windows 10 little logo that popped up on people’s computers so they could upgrade for free? Well now you know why. The laggards at Samsung were not working with Microsoft. It seems they have little interest in the best interests of their customers.

I tell you this story so you know what you are in for if you buy Samsung computers. Besides this issue, it is the worst computer I have ever owned…and was directly responsible for my move to Apple. In fact, I plan to never buy any Samsung product again.

OK, I am done with this rant. I will let you know if I ever get upgraded. There are some interesting stories and tips here, so let’s get going.

 

Tech News and Opinions

China hack attacks on US continue despite commercial spying pact, security firm says

Hackers associated with the Chinese government targeted seven US companies in the last three weeks.

 

Amazon takes 1,114 fake reviewers to court

Amazon continues its streak against suing fake reviewers on its site with a fresh lawsuit filed in Seattle. The 1,114 defendants, collectively labeled “John Does” as their identities are not known, sell their services for as little as $5 on Fiverr, the micro-services website.

 

Opinion: Only Android Can Save Windows Phone

After moving back and forth between new iPhone and Android handsets and my Lumia 930 Windows phone over the past few months, I’ve come to an uncomfortable conclusion: Unless Microsoft can overcome the app gap, my favorite mobile platform is doomed.

 

Apple users need the help desk a lot less than PC users, IBM finds

Only 5% of IBM employees with MacBooks need help desk support from the IT department, versus 40% of PC users

 

Chrome drops 'OK Google' voice search

Google's desktop browser still offers voice search, but you can no longer initiate it simply by saying, "OK Google."

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

The Best Ways to Organize All Your Digital Photos

Here are the tools you need to know to bring order to your digital photography chaos.

 

Using Speed Tests to Troubleshoot Wi-Fi? Understand What You SHOULD Be Getting

This piece is written for those who may not realize the nuances of wireless networking versus wired when it comes to using simple speed tests as a diagnostic tool.

 

Windows 10 tips, tricks, secrets, and shortcuts: File Explorer

Even certified Windows masters can learn a trick or two from Ed Bott's series of how-to articles. This edition covers tips, tricks, secrets, and shortcuts for using File Explorer.

 

A few good reasons to upgrade from Win7 to Win10

That “Get Windows 10″ icon sitting in Win7’s notification area will get you a free upgrade, but you haven’t decided whether it’s worth taking the plunge. For most Win8 users, upgrading is a virtual no-brainer; for Win7 users, however, the case is not so compelling. Here are a few enhancements that might tip the balance toward Win10.

 

15 simple, yet powerful Excel functions you need to know

Power users love to talk about how powerful and awesome Excel is, what with its Pivot Tables, nested formulas, and Boolean logic. But many of us barely know how to find the Autosum feature, let alone use Excel's functions to create powerful formulas. Here are 15 handy Excel functions that will get you well on your way to spreadsheet mastery.

 
Mobile Computing

The 100 Best iPhone Apps of 2015 - Updated

If you have an iPhone, you need apps. Here are our favorites in a range of categories from finance and productivity to hobbies and travel.

 

The 100 Best Android Apps of 2015

What better way to prepare for the cold, dark months than downloading some excellent new Android apps?

 

14 Things You Can Do in Android Marshmallow That You Couldn't Do in Lollipop

It’s not a dramatic leap forward for Google’s mobile OS, but there are still a number of useful new features you’re going to want to know about.

 

Google Maps Can Find Places to Stop On Your Route, Shows Gas Prices

Android: Well, this is awesome. The latest update to Google Maps finally adds the ability to search for places to stop along your current route. You can find gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, and more. Gas stations will even show gas prices!

 

Sprint will slow down heaviest users of unlimited data

The company is putting its foot down on its unlimited plan, which once represented the cornerstone of its monthly subscriptions.

No comments: