Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Is It Time for You to Cut the Cord?

Ultimate Cord Cutter's Guide

Cutting the cable cord can be a big step in your life. Do, is it time for you to do it? I did it some time ago and have not looked back. It was easier for me as TV is not that big a deal in my life…well some days I do watch more than others. But what I watch is done without a cable or satellite dish. It really depends on how big a place TV is in your life.

I can easily live without all the crap they put on broadcast TV these days…except maybe for some sporting events. For those, I use an indoor antenna (Mohu Leaf is the best one) to pick up my local TV stations that all broadcast in beautiful 1080P. In fact, the quality of broadcast signals is far superior to signals that come over cable.

As for cable channels, most of what they broadcast is also crap and it usually comes with an abundance of irritating commercials. I don’t miss those at all. And if you are like most people, you pay a lot of money for cable channels you don’t even watch. And cable and satellite companies are not about to let you chose your channels ala carte.

Most of my TV watching is done with the aid of a Roku Box. I found Roku to be the best TV device by far, but you can also get a similar box from Apple, Amazon and Google.  It connects with the Internet and has over a thousand channels to choose from. But just like cable, I only have a few channels I really watch. The two channels that get the most play in my life are Netflix and Amazon Prime. With those two channels I get both movies and TV shows…thousands of them!

For instance, I am a fan of the TV show NCIS. Netflix has 12 years worth of NCIS episodes that I can watch whenever I want…all without commercials! I recently discovered the TV show, “Person of Interest”…and just like NCIS, all their episodes are available, again without commercials. I could name several shows that I like to watch on occasion. There are even current shows on YouTube, which also available on Roku and other boxes. YouTube contains a wealth of video files and I control the channel on the Roku with my iPad.

I happen to be a baseball fan. For $110 a year, I get “MLB” and can watch every baseball game being played around the country live every day…and without commercials also. I cannot get the Arizona Diamondbacks games as I live in Arizona, but I don’t really care. I am a SF Giants fan so I can watch their games. I also enjoy watch the Red Sox. If I happen to miss a game, I can watch it anytime I want using their game replay.

I could go on and on about all the channels available with all kinds of entertainment. But here is a little secret: if you have a friend or relative with cable or satellite and they are willing to share their login info with you, you can get lots of those cable channels on your Roku box…like HBO, Showtime, Starz, ESPN and many many others…all for free!

So, if you are thinking of making the move, do your homework to make sure this is the right move for you…and read the first in-depth article here on how to do it. I hope this helps you. -JRC   

Tech News and Opinions

The Ultimate Cord Cutter's Guide

Ready to ditch cable TV? Keep that broadband connection—you'll need it to become a full-time cord cutter.

 

Super Rumor: Twitter may drop photos and links from 140 character limit

According to a report from Bloomberg the social network is due to make the change within the next couple of weeks.

Google made an insanely high-res camera to preserve great works of art

In its first five years, the Google Cultural Institute scanned and archived 200 works of art in super-high-resolution gigapixel images. Now in just the past few months, it has managed to scan another 1,000.

 

The EU is about to slap Google with a $3.4 billion fine

The newspaper cites sources claiming that Google is facing a fine of around $3.4 billion. An announcement could happen as soon as next month.

 

Panama Papers secrets could fall to crowdsourcing muscle

Ordinary people can help uncover fraud and corruption by sifting through the names of offshore companies exposed in the massive trove of leaked files, says the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

Add these 5 calendars to Google Calendar

Subscribing to existing and curated calendars is a great way to put your Google Calendar to work for you. Here are five important calendars to get you started.

 

Apple updates iTunes with a 'simpler' design that doesn't really help

Apple knows that the iTunes interface is extremely confusing and needs work. But apparently its solution is to add even more menus. For Windows and MAC.

 

15 useful extensions to improve Firefox

Firefox is a solid third-party Web browser on all major operating systems. Here are some helpful extensions to give you better control over your browsing experience.

 

Six Windows 10 annoyances: How to make them go away for good

You've got complaints about Windows 10? Don't worry, you've got plenty of company. Here are the top gripes about Microsoft's new OS, with instructions to help you make those problems vanish.

 

When water, coffee, or liquid spills on your laptop, do this

Liquid and electricity don't mix. When the two meet, the liquid can destroy a great deal of electronic circuits. It can also send you a serious shock if you're not careful.

 

Mobile Computing

Amazon, Not Apple, Is Making Tablets Great Again

Sales of Amazon's Fire tablets more than doubled in the first quarter, making the e-commerce giant the third-largest seller of tablets in the world. Here is why.

12 Amazon Kindle tips, tricks, and secret features

As well as simply replacing your traditional, printed books, the Kindle hosts a number of additional features you might not have been aware of.

 

How to change default apps in Android

In this brief guide, we'll walk you through the process of changing default apps on your favorite operating system.

 

Best keyboard apps for your iPhone

The built-in iPhone keyboard is, for the most part, fine. But no one keyboard can be all things to all typists. Sometimes we need or want a change.

 

10 ways to improve iPhone photography with the stock camera app

The iPhone’s camera is great when wielded properly. Here are tips for taking even better iPhone photos.

No comments: