Thursday, August 18, 2016

The New Windows is Pretty Darn Good

Taking Advantage of Windows 10's Built-in Mail App

For my trip to Northern California, I brought 2 laptops: my Apple MacBook Pro and and my Samsung laptop running Windows 10. Before I left Tucson, I could not get the Anniversary Update to install on my desktop or my Samsung laptop. But as I documented last week, once I got here, I was able to mysteriously install it on the laptop as well as its latest updates. Can’t wait to get back to Tucson to see if I can somehow get my PC to install it.

Anyway, I have had a chance to play with a few of the new features that came with the Anniversary Update and here are some of my observations:

First, the mail app. From what I read prior to installation, the new Windows 10 mail app is much better. And I can so testify that it is. In fact, on this laptop, it has become my default mail app. It is quite good. I was able to flawlessly add my 3 favorite e-mails, including my Apple e-mail. They all work just fine. I was also able to easily link all 3 addresses so that they show up in one inbox. It is definitely a plus.

Second, the Edge browser. It is improved and I was able to easily add most of my favorite extensions like LastPass and Adblock Plus. The browser is very fast and I can easily move from site to site. Some tech journalists do report that some sites are very, very slow in loading, but I have not played with Edge that much to verify their claims. I like using it, but some of my most used extensions are not available so will have to continue to use Firefox for most of my heavy duty work. PS, Edge has crashed on me a couple of times.

Third, the Calendar app. It works well enough and it easily connects to my Google Calendar and shows all my events, but there are so many better calendar apps out there that I will not be using it.

Fourth: The Photos app is OK. I don’t have any photos stored on this laptop, but it automatically went to my OneDrive files in the cloud to show me those photos. I can’t see myself using this app as I use my MAC for most of my photo work. But, it did a good job linking to my OneDrive photos. However, there are no photo tools yet available to do editing and improving. I think this app will probably get better in the future.

Cortana works well enough, about the same as Siri on my iPhone and iPad. But I have not given it many tough tests yet. It is supposed to be much much better in the Anniversary update, but I don’t see it. More testing is needed.

There are many more apps, most of which I will never use. But I am mostly impressed with what Microsoft is trying to do in Windows. So I hope they keep up the good work.

Time for me sign off and sit outside on the patio and enjoy this great weather here in the Bay Area. Quite a change from Tucson. I hope there are some articles below that will be of use to you. -JRC

 

Tech News and Opinions

 

More airline outages predicted as carriers grapple with 1960s technology

Airlines will likely suffer more disruptions like the one that grounded about 2,000 Delta flights this week because major carriers have not invested enough to overhaul reservations systems based on technology dating to the 1960s,

 

All Windows 10 PCs will support HoloLens apps next year

Microsoft has announced a partnership with Intel that will make all future Windows 10 PCs able to support mixed reality applications.

 

Intel's next-gen Kaby Lake processors: Everything we know so far

Kaby Lake isn't your typical chip upgrade. Here's everything we know so far.

 

How to Calibrate Your TV

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a better picture from your TV. Our instructions and a $30 disc are all you need to perform a basic calibration.

 

How to Start Purging Your Digital Life

Bogged down with digital clutter? Start purging junk from your digital life with these tips.

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

How to Create an Anonymous Email Account

The Internet doesn't make it easy to go completely anonymous. Here's how you can stay hidden even when emailing.

 

10 Ways to Boost Your Wi-Fi Signal

To get the strongest wireless signal from your wireless router, check out these quick tips for achieving optimal reception.

 

12 Tips to Troubleshoot Your Internet Connection

Before you call your ISP, try these easy router tips to get back online ASAP.

 

We ignore our computer's security alerts up to 90 percent of the time

Humans aren't too good at multitasking -- even if one of those tasks is reading a security alert and the other is watching a video

 

 Learn more about your SSD and make it last longer!

"SSDs still fall short in a few places compared to normal hard drives, in particular regarding their write endurance. This means you can only write a finite amount of data to an SSD before you can't write anymore. Here is how to improve that.

 

Mobile Computing

The 100 Best Android Apps of 2016

Whether you've got a brand-new Galaxy Note 7 or an older Android phone or tablet you just want to spruce up, these are the apps that matter.

 

Android antivirus apps are useless — here’s what to do instead

Android is by its very nature more secure than a desktop computer, so maybe you don’t need these security apps. You’ve probably already got what you need.

 

Google is bringing Google Now smarts to Chrome

Google is currently testing a New Tab page with Google Now smarts. You can try it on you Android Phone.

 

T-Mobile brings back unlimited data for all

The carrier is getting rid of lower-tier data plans and offering new customers only unlimited data, but you'll have to pay $70 for the first line to get in on the action.

Microsoft Visio is Coming to the iPad

Microsoft has announced a limited new Visio on iPad Insider Program that will help bring Microsoft’s diagramming solution to Apple’s tablets. But you need to act fast if you want to join.

 

Best NFL 2016 fantasy football apps for iPhone: Draft, drop, and track your players like a pro!

From cheat sheets and draft kits to professional recommendations, these are the best fantasy football apps for the 2016 season! You'll find these will do well on iPad, too.

No comments: