Thursday, March 03, 2005

On Changing Providers

Just to let you know, my web site and e-mail may be off line for a short time tomorrow (Friday, 3/4/05) as I am changing my Internet service provider. When you change providers, you need to obtain a new IP address. For most users, that is not a big deal as the number is provided to your computer behind the scenes, so to speak.

But, because I have a web site and my own e-mail server, I need a static IP address and it does take a little time to not only supply my system with the new address, but I also have to tell DNS servers around the world that corkrum.com now has a new IP address. The same applies for e-mail. All this takes a little time.

Because my art business relies on Internet sales and e-mail's, not to mention my web log readers, I cannot afford to be down. So, as much as I would like not to change providers, certain circumstances that have been well documented in our local papers have forced me to make a business decision to change providers.

Please understand that this is my decision and is not a recommendation for anyone else to do the same. I am just letting you know that I may be having some connection difficulties tomorrow because of the changeover.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

No comments: