Saturday, February 04, 2006

Shameless Self Promotion

Sometime ago, late in the last century to be precise, I started writing a newsletter, which took on a life of its own and eventually morphed into the blog you see before you now. The reason I started writing the original newsletter was to keep friends and customers informed of the latest technologies that they might find useful…and to promote my computer store in Ephrata.

Of course, the store has long since closed its doors. I kept the newsletter/blog going because so many people found it useful and I love to write it. But, I haven’t used it much lately to promote myself.

However, having run into several old customers and acquaintances in the last few weeks who had no idea what I was doing now, I decided to deviate from my technology writing for one day and devote a blog to what I am doing these days.

Who knows, maybe you know someone who might be able to use one of my services and recommend me. So, here goes my very shameless self-promotion blog.

Artist – Most of you do probably know by now that I have been working as a full-time artist for the last couple of years. I exhibit at art shows all over the West Coast from May thru October. My work has been received well; both by juries that judge my work before allowing me in their shows…and by customers who continue to buy my work. My images have sold very well and have even been included in a book on Northwest Artists (available at The Bookery in Ephrata).

My work is termed “mixed media” by most art shows as I combine photography with digital painting to create a new media. I print my own work either on paper or limited edition canvas as I have a very large Epson 7600 printer that can print pictures up to 24” wide.

I have been a photographer since childhood, although I really got into it in my college days and eventually became an assistant teacher at the college level. Many years ago, with the advent of computers as a new kind of darkroom, I started experimenting with turning photographs into paintings. Over the years, my techniques have evolved and changed to the point that I became a full time artist. It is a good feeling to create works of art that people like well enough to purchase.

You can visit my web site and see many of my works. If you want to learn more about how I create my works, there is an article on my web site that will give you more information. I sell my works at art shows, galleries, and on my web site. There is also a listing on my site for upcoming art shows that I will do this year, although nothing has been officially booked at this time. I hope you will come by to one of them and say hello.

Wedding Photographer – Over the years I’ve photographed many weddings and other events. I have been out of it for several years after I moved to the Northwest. But, as I only do art shows for six months, I decided to go back into it and am happy with my decision. My techniques and abilities to work with people came back to me right away and it has felt quite natural…as it should.

I offer a very full range of services including proof books, paper and canvas prints of all sizes (remember I have that huge Epson 7600 printer), thank you cards, wedding albums, DVD’s with photos and music of wedding services (or other events), and on-line posting of pictures so friends and relative from all over the world can see the photos immediately after a wedding.

All work is done in-house for the greatest quality control and lower prices. I know of many photographers who send out their work to specialty print houses, which of course drive the prices higher and leave the photographer little control over how their work is finished, although some labs are quite good.

I have recently created a brand new web site for my wedding services at http://weddings.corkrum.com. It is still a work in progress, but it is getting there as I promote my services. Besides photography, I also help out with any services a customer might need to make the wedding work…from invitations to engraved champagne glasses. I am really going into this in a big way, so please mention me to anyone you might know who is going to have a wedding or any other event that requires a good photographer.

By the way, I have had several requests for portraits lately, so I am doing that also.

Printing Services – One of the unexpected benefits of getting my large printer was that other photographers and artists began asking me to do their print work for them, especially on canvas. I have been doing this for some time now and enjoy the challenge of turning out high quality prints as well as stretching large canvases for framing.

If you have some pictures that you might like a quality enlargement of on canvas or paper, drop me a line and I will help you out. My big printer is really amazing!

Special Commissions – Another service I offer is to take customer’s photographs, then turn them into paintings in the style of the paintings that I do of my own photographs. For instance, a customer last summer bought my sketch of the Roman Forum at a show, then contacted me to do the same style sketch of a photo they took of the Roman Forum. It turned out quite well and the two works now hang in their living room. Let me know if you have a photo you would like painted.

Web Site Development – I also develop web sites, having done so for businesses and other artists. It’s a fun sideline and a challenge to my creativity. But, this has become a minor sideline lately as the other services listed above keep me very busy.


Thanks for taking the time to read my self-promoting blog. Drop me an e-mail if I can be of any service to you. I promise my next blog will be back on the subject of technology.

No comments: