Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Free Fish Tank

If you have ever walked into a retail store that carries computers, you have probably seen the aquarium screen savers show different kinds of fish swimming lazily either an ocean or aquarium environment. With today's high resolution monitors and video cards, these screen savers look hauntingly realistic.

Psychologists have pointed out for years that having an aquarium is a good way to relax and lower stress if you just sit and watch the fish do their thing. My brother has had an aquarium for years, and while it is very relaxing to sit and watch the the little fishies swimming around, I found that your stress levels go back up because you have to feed them every day and clean up the tank on a regular basis. Thanks, but no thanks. All pets are high maintenance, which is why at this point in our lives, Susan and I live in a pet-free environment.

But, along with many other folks, I enjoy watching fish swim, either in an aquarium, or in their natural environment. Enter the aquarium screen savers. You get to watch fish swim without having to perform any maintenance. The problem has been that these screen savers, including the one from Microsoft, cost money. And while I enjoy watching fish swim, I was not moved to spend any money for it.

A few months ago, when I had some extra time to do some research, I looked for a free aquarium screen saver. No such luck...they all cost money.

But, the other day, I ran across a free one called "Sim Aquarium." It comes in a free version as well as more complex aquariums that do cost a few dollars. I downloaded the free one and enjoy it very much. It looks good on all my monitors, especially my 20" wide-screen monitor at home.

If you have always wanted a fish screen saver, give this one a try. It is available on the ZDNet web site. Enjoy.

No comments: