Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Securing Firefox

Hello again from beautiful downtown Ephrata. I know it has been a couple of weeks since I've written anything, but, as longtime readers know, this is the busiest part of my art season, where I go from show-to-show displaying and selling my art works. And I am now beginning really busy time of the season. This weekend I will be in Gig Harbor, WA and next weekend in Kalispell, MT. After that I go directly to Richland, WA, followed by Coeur d Alene in the first weekend of August.

It is major crunch time for me as I have to come back to Ephrata after each show to restock my traveling van before heading out for the next one. Sometimes I only have 3 days to do that. So, I just don't have a lot of time to write these blogs, as much as I love doing it. I will make up for it in the winter months, I promise.

Susan and I did take 10 days off for both a vacation on the Olympic Peninsula and a family reunion in Seaside, OR. We had a great time, although I haven't had much time to even look at the photos I took on the trip. After the vacation, we headed to Tacoma where I had a very successful 3 day show.

So that sort of catches you up on my comings and goings. I will write a quick blog when I can, as I am still keeping up with the latest trends in technology on a nearly daily basis. I have several blogs planned and hope to find time to write them.

Today, I want to recommend and important article I just read about Firefox, my favorite Web browser. If you are a Firefox user you need read this article. It is entitled, "Securing Firefox: How to Avoid Hacker Attacks..." It is 11 pages long but most of it is illustrations showing how to set up your browser to be as secure as possible. Again, I strongly recommend that you read this article.

Almost as I write these words, a new security flaw has shown up in Firefox that you should also be aware of. This one is interesting (and weird) because it really isn't Firefox's fault. If you have both Internet Explorer and Firefox installed on your computer and you are browsing a malicious Web site using IE, Firefox can be attacked and used to hack your computer. I said it was weird.

If you browse the same bad site with Firefox, you can't be hacked as the site is geared to attack IE. So, the easiest solution is not to browse a malicious site with IE. As for me, I never use Internet Explorer, so I am safe. I also have set up my Firefox using the recommendations in the article mentioned above. Look for the folks at Mozilla to fix this flaw soon.

Happy computing and I will write when I can.

No comments: