Monday, January 17, 2011

More Good Info on Smartphones

I keep hearing how the focus of today’s technology has moved from the desktop to the portable world…i.e. Cell phones, iPads, tablets, laptops, and netbooks. While I still believe most of us do our work on desktop computers (or portable computers), I will cover this new world in this blog, perhaps a bit more than I have in the past.

Cell phones have turned into portable computers. That is good for many of us. Frankly, I have a smartphone (a Blackberry), but don’t use the Internet portion of it very much. Of course, I am retired and don’t feel the need to be on the Internet 24-7. But many of you make more use of the smartphones than me.  So, I will keep that in mind when I put together this blog. - JRC

How AT&T and T-Mobile conjured 4G networks out of thin air

What AT&T and T-Mobile did was to re-brand their enhanced 3G networks (sometimes called 3.5G) by simply renaming them “4G” networks. Voila! In other words, this is mostly a marketing ploy.

Five Reasons Not to Buy a Verizon iPhone 4

For those suffering with an iPhone tied to an AT&T contract, switching to Verizon on February 10th seems like a no-brainer, but here's why you should look before you leap.

Mozilla Firefox 4 Expected by Late February

The faster, leaner, HTML 5-ready Firefox 4 web browser is inching closer to release. Mozilla official say they're just down to bug fixes. Learn more about what you'll see in February in this report.

How to Use Excel More Effectively: 10 Great Excel Tips & Tricks

I'm not a numbers guy, but I use Microsoft Excel all the time. I use it for story calendars, budgets, analysis and more. It's a great app, even for people who, like me, don't enjoy working in spreadsheets. One of the ways I make Excel work for me is by using as many shortcuts as possible. That's why I love these tips. By the way, they're not designed for experts. Instead they're built for people just like you and me. Enjoy.

Two great security tools get free updates

Two outstanding security apps, Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 and Secunia Personal Software Inspector 2.0, are now available. The original versions of these programs were great, but the new versions are even better; they're must-have software — and they're still free!

No comments: