Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Adventures with Windows 8–Part 2

When I left you last time, I had spent a day with Windows 8 right out of the box and discovered I hated it more than I originally thought. I was left with a dilemma: Do I wipe the drive and install Windows 7, or do I try and figure out a way to use the desktop only in Windows 8 and completely ignore all that Metro crap?

I decided to try the Start8 application app from Stardoc. I’ve mentioned it before, but had not tried it as I never owned Windows 8. The company gives you a 30 day, full-featured trial to make up your mind. I downloaded it and installed it. I set up the options list and then let her rip! Wow! Problem solved…just like that!

My laptop now boots directly to the desktop and I have both a start button and a start menu almost identical to Windows 7. I never have to look at that damn Metro interface ever again. I have my Windows 7 layout in my Windows 8 computer. Start8 costs $5, but it may be the best $5 I will ever spend.

But there was something missing from my desktop that I consider very important. When Windows 7 first shipped, it came with a wonderful feature called “Gadgets.”  These were little tiles that sat on your desktop and gave you information like the weather, date, time, stock market activity, computer status, and much, much more. You could size them to fit your screen and place them wherever you want. On my desktop computer, I have the time, date, and local weather on my screen in the upper right hand corner.

I have come to rely on Gadgets as part of my daily computing life. Believe me, living in Tucson, you want to know the temp outside all the time. Well, of course because they were so useful, Microsoft did away with Gadgets. They made it impossible to even get them. I was never sure why until I saw Windows 8. The gadgets were competitors to Metro…and in my opinion, much more useful. So, Microsoft dictated they had to go.

So, no Gadgets. I did a little research and found a site that saved all the gadgets (95 of them) as well as the application that runs it. I downloaded it, and to make a long story short, my favorite gadgets are now running on my laptop (see the last story for the link).

The bottom line, as I hinted in the last episode, is that I have Windows 8 running the way I want. Well, almost. I discovered just yesterday when I click on a photo’s name in Windows Explorer to view it, it opens the Metro Photo App, which I think is terrible. I am still working to solve that problem.

But there is much more to today’s edition than my solving the Windows 8 Conundrum. We’ve got news, information and tips. Because its getting to be summer vacation time, included are two articles on planning your trip…one using Evernote, and one using OneNote. Take your pick.

Also, there is the latest on Yahoo’s new mail software, Obama’s new war on patent trolls, and how one of Chicago’s big-time newspapers fired all its photographers and teaching reporters how to take photos with their iPhones. All this and more…beginning right now! -JRC 

Yahoo Shuts Down Mail Classic, Forces Switch To New Version That Scans Your Emails To Target Ads

Yahoo launched the new version of Mail in December, and announced the discontinuation of Classic back in April. However, it didn't mention anything about the new terms of service and privacy policy.

Obama administration comes out swinging against patent trolls

The signs are clear that so-called "patent trolls," companies that do nothing but threaten and litigate over patents, are doing serious damage to the economy. After more than a decade in which patent abuse has shot up to new heights, the problem has finally reached the attention of President Obama.

US mobile wallet users spent $500M in 2012 - nearly all of it at Starbucks

That's just a drop in the ocean compared to the trillions of dollars in credit and debit card transactions every year, but what's most surprising is where those mobile payments took place.

Chicago Sun-Times fires its entire photo staff

The Sun-Times explains that jettisoning its professional photographers and having reporters take pictures with their iPhones will help the newspaper appeal to its "digitally savvy customers.

The Sisyphean Problem Of Email

Advice that should be given to modern people considering marriage: "Before you marry, consider this, 'Is this the person I'd like to watch stare at their phone for the rest of my and their life?

New Video Guides on How to Use Windows 8

Now there is a new offering from the Microsoft UK Higher Education Blog that users of Windows 8 should find helpful in learning about the strange new world of tiles and charms.

How to Choose the Best Mechanical Keyboard (and Why You'd Want To)

Mechanical keyboards, or keyboards with full, individual switches under every key, have exploded in popularity recently, although the technology inside is as old as the keyboard itself. There's really no substitute for that solid, clicking sensation under your fingers as you type, and the satisfying sound each key makes when you press it.

Intel's new fourth-gen 'Haswell' processors: What you need to know

New Intel processors are about to come to desktops, laptops, and tablets near you. Here's the full rundown on what it all means.

Using Evernote to Easily Capture and Share Your Vacation Memories

Here are some tips on using Evernote to plan and record your vacation memories.

Travel with OneNote: Staying organized on the road

Here's how to use OneNote to prepare for upcoming trips as well as keep you on track while on the go.

Tools for Capturing Your Ideas in Writing

Have you ever been overwhelmed with writing ideas, and you didn’t know what to do with all of them? How do you capture and keep track of your ideas?

8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 8

8GadgetPack is an utility that installs the original Gadget program files on Windows 8 computers.

No comments: