Thursday, June 13, 2013

Just the Facts, Jack

OK, I admit it. I don’t have one big story to knock your socks off. But there are some good things here. Lots of information and updates to keep you in the loop.

I promised a couple of weeks ago to tell you the story of how I bought my new Windows 8 laptop. To keep it short, here are the facts:

I’ve been looking for a new laptop for a few weeks and had a list of 3 or 4 possibilities. My old laptop was just that…old, 11 years old to be exact! It was heavy and slow, as you would expect for a piece of equipment that old. Believe it or not, one of the most important concerns for me was weight. I wanted something as light as possible for lugging around airports and hotels.

Of course I knew the weight of every laptop on my list, but they were only numbers. I wanted to feel what 4.8 lbs. felt like. So, on Memorial Day I suggested to my son Eric (remember I was in Yuma) that he and I go to the local Best Buy and check out laptops for weight. So we did.

While there I found one that I thought was pretty light and pretty much fit my needs…and it was on sale for 20% off as it was a demo model…and it was $200 less than the other laptops on my list. So, we left the store to think about it.

Later we went back to buy it, but the department manager would not sell it to us saying they had more in the back so he needed the demo. I asked him why it was on the counter for sale at the discounted price. He said it was a mistake. He actually didn’t seem to care very much. But he offered to sell it to me at full price. Yea…sure!

So we left…a little pissed off at being deceived. When I got back to Eric’s home, I did a quick search on my iPad for the computer we saw at Best Buy and couldn’t find it cheaper anywhere else, so I decided give up and keep on looking.

Now this is the interesting part. Within 45 minutes of my on-line search, I get an e-mail from CNET (yes, the tech news company) offering a few items from different companies at bargain prices. The lead item, was of course, the computer I saw at Best Buy. They showed it at $50 off the store price. I mean we are talking about the same exact model.

I click on the link and guess who had it on sale? You got it! Good old Best Buy. I could buy it online and pick it up in an hour at the local store. So, after some thought, I did. And I picked it up in Yuma and waived it in the manager’s face. Of course, he could still care less.

So you don’t think that Google is scanning our searches and e-mails? Of course they are. Its not the first time its happened to me. But, in this case, it worked out for my benefit. Despite having Windows 8, this new laptop works well for me. So that is my story and I’m sticking to it.

Lots of news, views, and information…some of it useful. So let’s get to it. Have a great weekend. -JRC

NSA chief drops hint about ISP Web, e-mail surveillance

A secret interpretation of the Patriot Act led to the National Security Agency vacuuming up all of Verizon's phone logs. The NSA may be doing the same for e-mail and Web logs too.

What is the NSA's PRISM program? (FAQ)

We now know that the NSA uses something called PRISM to monitor private Web data. Sounds like "1984." What does it really mean?

Patch Tuesday: 23 vulnerabilities fixed; IE, Windows, Office

One "critical" vulnerability and four "important" ones round out this week's software fixes from Microsoft

Apple, Microsoft, big tech push UI changes: Whining is futile

Given hardware is commoditized, software and experience are the best options to differentiate. The big hurdle is that these tech players are forcing changes that users may not necessarily want."

iOS 7 vs iOS 6 - Side By Side Visual Comparison

It’s clean, crisp, and certainly a great deal brighter than ever before, but, new features aside, does it actually look better, and how does it compare? An in-depth look at apps and menus.

Yahoo to issue inactive mail accounts to other users

The company said in a blog post that it was freeing up the dormant email IDs to give its current and new users the opportunity to sign up for “the Yahoo! ID they’ve always wanted.

9 Top Tech Myths Debunked

Does more bars really mean better mobile service? Are ones really gone forever once you empty the trash? Popular Mechanics tackles some of the most frustrating falsehoods of the digital age . A good read.

How to Customize Your Mobile Google Maps Experience

Your Google map is fully customizable, and will recommend locations and deals that may interest you, based on your search history. First, though, you need to figure out how to use it. To help, we've created this guide to the mobile Maps app.

8 Bizarre Social Networks You Won't Believe Exist

We browsed the web and compiled some of the strangest, most hobby-specific ones we could find. Some are geared toward a specific audience, while others are just plain — well, weird. Take a look at our collection.

Get a Discount Shopping Online by Abandoning Your Cart For a Day

When you're looking for an extra discount on an order you're placing online, try leaving your cart alone for a day. Companies sometimes email discounts to entice you back.

Get Organized: 7 Keyboard Shortcuts for More Efficient Browsing

Keyboard shortcuts can greatly increase your productivity on a computer, although research suggests that people often don't use them in part because they're difficult to learn and remember.

Opera Mail Brings Labels, Filters to Your Other Email on the Desktop

Opera released its own, cross-platform desktop email client. For Gmail users (and the Gmail envious), the feature set should look both familiar and welcome.

No comments: