Tuesday, July 09, 2013

A Little Bit of This and That

I just installed the latest version of Lightroom…Version 5, if you are keeping score. It is quite amazing. It can automatically straighten crooked images, make bent lines straight, and remove unwanted objects from photographs. I look forward to working with it more. Many photographers today just use Lightroom without Photoshop. I am not quite there yet, but it is awfully good.

I was reminded today why I hate Windows 8. I saw an interesting Metro app while perusing the Net. I went to my Windows 8 laptop and hit the link to the Metro menu. Then, I clicked on the Windows Store icon, which is where new Metro apps are found. Nothing. I waited and waited and waited, then it crashed and took me back to the Metro Menu.

I clicked it again, and after a fairly long wait, it connected to the store. I knew the name of the app I was search for…but guess what I found…or didn’t find…no search box. I had to scroll and scroll and scroll to find a series of icons with what I hoped was the right category. I then clicked on it, and got a second screen with a ton of small icons. I then had to slowly scroll back and forth until I was lucky enough to find it.

Turned out it was a not very good app. A few more minutes of my life wasted. Ridiculous! I know that Microsoft is coming up with an upgraded version of the store in Windows 8.1. But something this bad should have never been put on the market in the first place.

Today’s tech blog covers a wide range of topics…most of it helpful, I hope. So, while I go back to playing with the new Lightroom, you can start reading. -JRC

Note to all Internet users: Trust no one

Whistleblower Edward Snowden says U.S. telecom companies all collaborate with NSA, accuses Britain of storing every bit of Internet data it can

Microsoft Plans Critical Windows Security Patches

Patch Tuesday (today) will feature seven security bulletins, including six with the highest severity rating of "critical."

WebTV Comes To An End At Last

The once-pioneering Internet service was innovative and yet oh so mockable. You probably didn't know it was still around.

Google reportedly paid Adblock Plus not to block its ads

Google has reportedly paid the makers of Adblock Plus, the single most popular browser extension on Chrome and Firefox, to look the other way when it comes to its web advertisements.

Popular Ad Blocker Also Helps the Ad Industry

Ghostery is a solid privacy tool, but a new a reports says you should stay away from its opt-in "GhostRank" feature, which sells data on the ads you block to the ad companies themselves.

Gmail Calling Is Back, Now Part of Google Hangouts

Google just brought back its much-beloved VOIP calling feature and added it to Hangouts, allowing users to call phones for free right from their computer.

A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue'

Pieces of Windows 8 inexplicably didn't survive jump to Windows 8.1, and new feature allows Microsoft to track your local searches

10 Music Services You May Not Know About-But Should

These off-the-beaten-track music services offer innovative features you're not going to find on Spotify, iTunes or Pandora.

The Ultimate Desktop Customization Tool

Rainmeter describes itself as a desktop customization tool. These guys are not wrong! The program is basically a way to plaster any number of widgets and gadgets on your Windows desktop that can provide a constant feed of everything you might want to know...and its free!

ReminderFox – Free

ReminderFox is a to-do and reminder manager that integrates with your Firefox browser and enables you to add or receive reminders from within your browser, without having to run a separate application.

95 Amazing Photography Links

This comprehensive list contains some terrific tutorials, reviews, collections, special features, great photography and interesting blogs, enough to keep the avid enthusiast busy for quite some time!

No comments: