Thursday, June 09, 2016

I Was In A VR World…for 15 Minutes

Yes, that’s right. I put on a VR headset and was immediately immersed in a whole different world. How did this happen?

Well, last week one of my sightseeing stops was in Minneapolis…in fact, I was in the Mall of America, the largest shopping mall in the US. Let me tell you, this place is huge! It is so big that there are 3 roller coasters inside it, not to mention several other amusement park rides. And, oh yes, over 400 stores.

I decided to stop at the Apple Store to noodle around…and right directly across from it was a large Microsoft Store. And they were offering a free demonstration of the Vive VR headset. Of course I had to try it out. So I slipped the headset over my face, put on the earphones and grabbed the two hand controllers.

After doing some initial setup, including focusing, the Microsoft people turned on the 15 minute presentation. I immediately found myself underwater, standing on the deck of a sunken ship, watching all sorts of marine life swimming around me. I could physically turn  around and see this underwater world. Beautiful fish swam close to my face. Then, a giant whale paid me a close visit. That was amazing! He stayed for a couple of minutes before slowly swimming off.

The next demo was a drawing application. With the controllers, I could draw lines and circles in three dimensions, then walk into the depth of my drawing and look all around it. I should mention that a visual representative of the controllers was on the screen the whole time so I could see the correct buttons to push.

Finally, of course, came a game. Flying saucers came at me in all directions and I could fire laser canons at them using the controllers. It was all in 3 dimensions of course and seemed quite real, although I new it was a simulation. I managed to wipe out several saucers before I ran out of time.

All-in-all, it was quite exciting although it was easy to see we are only in the early days of the product. They will only get better. Will I buy one? Extremely doubtful. But it was sure fun trying it out. If you want to learn more about the Vive, be sure and read the interesting C-Net Review here

In other news, the big annual Apple World Wide Developers conference begins on Monday with the keynote address beginning at 10:00 AM Pacific Time. Look for in-depth coverage here next week. Our first story offers a preview of the event.

I will let you take over from here. -JRC

 

Tech News and Opinions

Apple’s WWDC 2016: Siri, iOS 10, Apple Music, and what else to expect

WWDC is on Monday — and this year, Apple has more to talk about than ever. That's because WWDC is Apple's software show, and Apple now has four distinct operating systems to discuss: iOS, OS X, watchOS, and tvOS.

 

Apple Campus 2 June Update

Here is the latest aerial tour via drone of Apple's stunning new headquarters, Apple Campus 2. Photographed in high def video.

 

U.S. House bans Yahoo Mail, Google App Engine over malware concerns

The bans are in response of cybercriminals abusing those services to spread ransomware and malware

 

Yahoo publishes FBI's secret requests for user data

Company is the first to publicly acknowledge receiving National Security Letters based on reforms to the Patriot Act. The special subpoenas give government access to tons of user data without a judge's review.

 

More than 32 million Twitter credentials reportedly hacked

LeakedSource says it has a database of more than 32 million stolen Twitter credentials. Luckily, checking to see if you're affected is easy.

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

How to Extend Windows 10’s 30-Day Limit for Rolling Back to Windows 7 or 8.1

After that, Windows takes the option away from you. But there’s a way to extend this time limit at the cost of some disk space.

 

Stop Facebook tracking you across the web, change these settings

It takes less than a minute to opt-out of Facebook's new ads system.

 

Vivaldi 1.2 'Google-free' Chrome browser is out - with custom mouse gestures, smarter tabs

Vivaldi crams more customization features into its browser in the latest update, targeting tabs and mouse gestures. JRC: Vivaldi is now my default browser. Love it!

 

Why you should use the OneDrive app in Windows 10

The OneDrive Windows Store app for Windows 10 makes viewing offloaded files easier.

 

36 Gmail Tips That Will Help You Conquer Email

If Gmail is a huge part of your life, it's time you became a power user. These tips will get you there.

 

Mobil Computing

Using Google Now for iOS

You can still use the basic Google Now service on the iPhone, as long as it has been enabled.

 

People are keeping their old iPhones longer

Is it possible people like their iPhones a little too much?

 

The best budget Android phones you can buy right now

There are new smartphones hitting the market constantly, but which is the best buy when you’re trying to save a buck or two (or hundred)?

 

The best photo editing app for Android

The fast way to deal with photo issues right on your phone is Adobe's Photoshop Express app, available for Android, iOS, and Windows.

 

Managing Your Photo Collection in the Smart Phone Age

We need a way that all of us can see all of our photos in one place. Right now, it’s a mess. My proposal is this.

 

How to search Photos with Siri

You can search for photos by typing in places or dates, or you can search by telling Siri where and when you want to look for.

No comments: