Thursday, December 01, 2016

First Look at DirecTV Now over the Net

Image result for directv images

Well, I did it. Could not resist. I signed up the first day for the new DirecTV Now. The first seven days are free and after that it is $35 for 100 channels (an introductory offer, normally $60). Will I keep it? Right now, after less than 24 hours, I am leaning towards no. But here are my first impressions…and please remember my views apply only to me.

First thing I found out is it won’t work on a Firefox Browser. For now, it only works on Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari. I chose Safari as I have it on my MAC. So for now, I can only watch it on my computer. This weekend, I will hook it up on my seldom-used Chromecast so I can watch it on a regular TV.

Getting it up and running was not easy. There are no instructions on setup. Their website needs a great deal of work. One has to hunt around to find how to sign up. But I did find out early on, I had to first download Microsoft’s Silverlight software. Even then it would not work. Safari would not recognize Silverlight until I activated it…and I had to do some searching on the Net to find out how to do that as it is not obvious in the settings. That may or may not be true for other browsers.

But I did find out and finally got it up and running. Even then I could not watch any channels until I signed up and gave them my credit card info. And that was not easy to find either. But I finally did and I was finally active.

The quality is good on some channels, not so good on others. But until I see it on a regular TV, I will withhold judgement. I have only viewed a few channels so far and can see by looking at the list, I will never view most of them. So, like cable and satellite TV, I will pay for channels I will never view. But, still, $35 a month is a good deal.

They list a goodly portion of on-demand movies, mostly older films. But when I tried to view some of them, I discovered most are not commercial free. Some are even edited for time, so parts of the movie are missing. Not good. The same holds true for TV programs on demand.

For many years now, I have been watching movies and TV shows on my Roku…almost none of them have commercials. About the only thing I watch with commercials are sporting shows and events. I have thousands of choices of movies and TV shows on my Roku, none of which have commercials. I admit, I am spoiled. I will never watch a movie with commercials. 

Again, all my opinions were formed within 24 hours of signing up. I will watch more over the next few days (between football games) and set it up on my Chromecast. So will have more for you next week. I have included one negative review below as I have yet to find a good one. But its early days yet.

As usual, I have found some good tips and tricks for your electronic devices so I hope you find something of value. Have a good weekend. -JRC 

 

Tech News and Opinions

Sorry Cord Cutters, DirecTV Now Is a Trap

Opinion: AT&T's new DirecTV Now plan transplants everything bad about cable into the cord-cutter world.

 

Netflix finally lets you download shows and movies to watch offline

You can finally take Netflix with you onto a plane or the subway. The company announced that it’s launching offline playback for “many of your favorite streaming series and movies.”

 

The end of the Apple dynasty?

Apple is misplaying the hand Steve Jobs left them, making themselves vulnerable to competition for the first time since iPod. The company has always been at least one step ahead of the competition in hardware advancements and software experience. That has all changed.

 

How to Contact Customer Support and Actually Get a Human

But there are still humans working in most of those companies’ customer service departments–you just have to know how to get to them. Here are a few easier ways to get what you want.

 

Amazon Aims To Tackle Counterfeiters in 2017

The regulations will target third-party sellers on the site, entities that Amazon cannot easily guarantee the quality of under existing policies yet often partners with under the “Fulfillment by Amazon” (FAB) setup.

 

Desktop and Laptop Tips and Tricks

DIY: Extending WiFi throughout your house

You probably need (or at least want) Wi-Fi across your whole property, but making it happen can be daunting. Here's a rundown of the steps you need to take, along with some practical tips and alternative solutions.

 

Tips, tricks and shortcuts: Ed Bott makes Windows 10 work for you

Need help navigating Windows 10? Let Windows pro Ed Bott be your guide.

 

How to Make Windows Shut Down Faster

Windows PCs should shut down fairly quickly—unless there’s a problem causing a shutdown delay. Here’s how to make your computer shut down faster.

 

Photoshop Gets Updated for 2017

Adobe continues to improve the world's leading photo editing software; the 2017 update adds universal search, templates, and companion apps for several designing purposes.

 

How to Use All of Windows 10’s Backup and Recovery Tools

The latest version of Windows also includes way to back up and restore system images, wipe your computer to its default state, store files online, and make recovery drives you can use in case of emergency.

 

Mobil Computing

The Best File Managers for Android

When you need to side load an app or move a downloaded file, for example, you’re going to need a file manager. Here are our picks for the best that Android has to offer.

 

Find out if your Google account has been hacked

Check to see if your Android device has been hit by Gooligan and what to do if it has

 

Microsoft Clip Layer Brings Better Copy and Share Functionality to Android

A new Microsoft Garage project called Clip Layer promises to make it easier for Android users to “snip and share” almost anything that appears on their screen.

 

Protect Yourself With a Free VPN Service

Can't afford a premium VPN? That's no reason to leave your network traffic unprotected. Here's what you need to know about free VPN services.

 

Phones with the best battery life

If a long-life battery tops your list of phone needs, you can't do better than these. Did yours make the list?

No comments: