Sunday, November 13, 2005

Odds and Ends

I thought I would put a few items of interest today in one blog. I hope you find something of use.

Worst Products:

CNET recently put together a list of some of the worst computer products of all time. I had a few of my own to add to the list, but I have long ago put them out of my mind and cannot remember their names (getting older, you know). Anyway, click here to see their list.

Web Sites for Free Software:

Here is a list of some of the best web sites where you can get some great free software and good shareware. But, you know me, I love the free stuff.

  • NoNags - This web site features nothing but free software. Shareware is not allowed here. The term "NoNags" comes from the fact that they accept no software that nags you to buy their product every time you start it.
  • SoftPedia.com - Another great web site with free and shareware software, with news, recommendations and more. Its a fun site to explore and look for products that might be of use to you.
  • DownloadSquad.com - Similar to Softpedia but with a whole different looks. Lots of recommendations and blogs about software. Free and shareware software.
  • Download.com - The most popular software download location on the net. Recently redesigned to give it a great look. Probably more shareware than freeware, but still a good site to explore.

Want to Simplify Your Life?

That is something that Susan and I are trying to do as we get older. We found a great website that helps with our efforts. It is called Flylady.net. Sign up for the Flylady's free email newsletter so you can take the clutter-free challenge, start a control journal, and take part in the 27-fling boogie (throw out all those things you don't need).

An Outlook Replacement

As you may remember from a past blog, I cannot make Outlook 2000 work properly with my desktop computer. And while I have found that Mozilla's Thunderbird is more than an adequate replacement for e-mail, I still miss some some of the other organizational features that Outlook offered such as to-do lists, calendaring, and notes.

I have now found a replacement program that is even better than Outlook and offers most of the same features, only better executed. It is called EssentialPim and it comes in both a free version and a Pro version that sells for $29.95. This program is so much better than Outlook, in my opinion, and in just a few days of use has become almost invaluable. I like it so much I am going to buy the Pro version and also install it on my laptop as it allows multiple users to access the data. Check out their website for more information.

No comments: