Saturday, November 19, 2005

Photography Odds and Ends

I thought I would post a short list of some good reading material to help with your photographic endeavors, especially with the holiday season now upon us. Most of this material is relevant whether you use a digital camera or a film camera. I hope it helps.

Photographing Thanksgiving
This very nice article was posted on the cameraworld.com website. Although they are primarily an online camera store, they do have some interesting articles from time-to-time to help improve your photography. This article is titled, How to Capture Thanksgiving With Your Camera, is short and gives you some good suggestions to make better pictures at your family get-together.

Free Photo Classes
CNET has put together a series of free photography and video classes to help you improve your photographic skills. Their first classes are all centered around the holidays and will teach you not only the basics about taking pictures, but how to enhance them with post processing software and share them with friends and family around the world. Enrolling is easy and free.

Tips from the Top Floor
I know I have mentioned this podcast before, but I think it is worth mentioning again if you are interested in photography. Late last night I drove home from Seattle and my only companion was pre-recorded episodes of Tips from the Top Floor on my MP3 player. It kept me awake and interested all the way (after the Seattle radio stations petered out in the mountains).

Chris Marquardt lives in Southern Germany and records these podcasts three times a week. They are ususally 10-15 minutes in length and most contain some excellent information on digital photography basics. He also has some very interesting interviews from time-to-time with professional photographers. Definitely worth listening to, especially on long, lonely drives. His web site augments the podcasts.

Apogee Photo - a Free Photography Magazine
For a few years now, I have subscribed to a free on-line photography magazine called Apogee Photo. When I say subscribed, I mean that I signed up to have all new editions e-mailed to me. All of their past issues are on their website. Its a good one.

Vivid Light Photography
Here's another free on-line magazine called Vivid Light Photography. I've only just discovered it recently, but it is a good one that apparently has been around a few years. Like Apogee Photo, they will e-mail each edition as it is completed.

Photo.net - The Best Photography Website on the Net
It has been a few years since I mentioned this website, so it's time to do it again. Photo.net has been around for years and it is an in-depth photographic website covering just about every aspect of photography. If nothing else, you should get on to see some of the top-rated photographs submitted by amateur photographers around the world.

BetterPhoto.com
Another fine website that features lots of interesting articles on all aspects of photography, including both film and digital shooting.

That's all for today. I hope you find something that helps you.

No comments: