Friday, March 24, 2006

I Can't Lose

Every once in a great while, I like to write something about the game of solitare...specifically solitare games that can be played on a computer. It has been a few years since I have written about it, but everytime I do, I always get a lot of postive responses. It seems a lot of you are hooked on the various versions also.

I admit I play solitare games a few times a day on my computer. I ususally do it when some large picture is printing out, or when I am trying to avoid doing something I should be doing. In fact, solitare is about the only game I do play on my computer, other than the occassional game of pinball.

Several years ago, I wrote about a free computer solitare game called "Solitude for Windows." I like this software because it contains 90 different solitare card games...and it is free! This software is still the one that I use.

You would think after all these years, I would have played all the games by now. In fact, I have come nowhere close. I figure there are only six or seven games that I play because I like them. And when I to sit down and play a game, I want something I am familiar with and don't want to think about learning something new. My choice of games are those that require some skill and brainpower on my part.

For instance, there is a game called "Clock" that I used to play that required absolutely no skill. The cards were layed out and you just played and played until all four Kings were exposed, which means you lost. And I lost that one a lot. I don't play Clock anymore. I do play a game called "Carpet", which requires only a little skill and which I win about 80% of the time... and one called "Monte Carlo" which requires more skill and I only win about 40% of the time.

I also love the game called "Poker Solitare" which is one of those games that can't be won. All you can do is go for high score. I average about 120 points per game although I once went over 200 points which is a really high score.

The reason I know about my scores and winning percentages is that Solitude keeps track of all my games so that I have some running statistics. And on the main menu, it also tells you how many games you can expect to win on the average.

Now, I titled this blog "I Can't Lose." Here's why. The other day, I decided it was time to learn a new game. I looked up and down the list and chose a game called "Thumb and Couch." The name intrigued me, the rules looked simple, and, according to the menu, I should win a one game out of every three.

So I played my first game and won. It took some thinking and planning on my part, but I did it. So I played again...and won again. In fact, I have played the game 17 times so far and won them all. Like I said, I can't lose. But, every game requires some level of thought and planning. I am almost to the point that I don't want to play the game as I am scared to spoil my perfect record. But, I like the game a lot so I will keep playing.

If you would like a free copy of Solitude for Windows you can go to the PC World Magazine Web site and download it for free. Maybe you will give all 90 a try. Have fun and write me sometime to let me know how you are doing.

No comments: