Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Spirit of Yosemite

Hello, everyone. I'm back from our trip to Yosemite National Park. It was a wonderful six days although 2.5 of them was spent driving. All-in-all, we had almost four full days in Yosemite Valley and at our cabin up near Wawona (23 miles south of the valley). The weather was stunning, to say the least...highs in the 70's with plenty of sunshine and some clouds here and there to liven up the photographs.

The waterfalls were bursting, with mists floating back almost halfway up the falls. There are so many waterfalls this time of year, many without names because they only appear in the spring. The apple and dogwood trees were in bloom and the meadows and trees were bright green. And the light in the valley was wonderful. The whole valley changes throughout the day as the sum moves across the sky. There were a lot of people there, but no where near the number of folks that will visit in the summer. Now is the very best time to be there, before Memorial Day.

I took over 600 photographs in four days. Some of them are very good and I have managed to print 3 or 4 of them today to take with me to this weekend's art show in Leavenworth. While I have glanced at all of them, I have a ton of work to do to in reviewing them all for future use. When I have some time, I will begin posting them on my website.

But more than all that, it was an incredible feeling to be back in Yosemite after so many years. I didn't realize how much it is a part of me until I arrived and saw it again. There is a special spirit that encompasses Yosemite like no other place in the world. You can see it in almost every visitor. So many wouldn't give you the time of day anywhere else in the world, but in Yosemite, they all want to talk and share their feelings. It may be one of the friendliest places you will ever visit.

There have been a lot of man-made changes since I was last there as the National Park Service does its best to keep Yosemite special and enjoyable for visitors while trying to save the natural environment. But, it really was the same place I remember as a kid.

While I continued my love affair in the valley, Susan found her special place in the Mariposa Grove of the giant Sequoia trees. She was deeply moved by the giant trees that are well over 2,000 years old. She actually got up early Monday morning and went back to visit them again by herself.

Besides spending time with my brother and friends in our cabin, there was one other special event that took place. The Sunday we were visiting was the 60th annual Wedding Vow Renewal Sunday that they do the first weekend every May in the chapel that is across the meadow from Yosemite falls. The church was filled with people there to renew there vows, many of whom were originally married there. Susan and I joined them at the alter and renewed our vows, which was very moving for all of us. We then finished the service outside while looking at Yosemite Falls.

If you have never been to Yosemite, you need to see it and be a part of it. I promise you will see amazing sights and experience emotions like you have never known before.

Now it is back to reality. I will try to get a tech blog out tomorrow morning before I leave for Leavenworth.

No comments: