Saturday, December 30, 2006

Dear Microsoft...I Can Be Bribed

Dear Friends at Microsoft,

It was with great interest that I read this week that you gave a number of free laptop computers equipped with the new Windows Vista operating system to technology bloggers . What a great idea! Those few bloggers who have admitted receiving this wonderful Christmas gift, along with those who have not yet admitted it, must have been thrilled when they opened their box. I can only imagine since I was not one of those lucky bloggers who received one.

And you spent some dollars on these machine. WOW! They were not cheap laptops by any means. They were Acer Ferrari 5000's equipped with an AMD Turion 64 x2 dual-core 2GHz CPU, 2GB of DDR2-667 RAM, AMD-ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 on a 15.4-inch widescreen. It also has a 160GB SATA drive, HD-DVD reader and burner as well as a 1.3mp camera. And, of course, preloaded with Vista. My God, guys, these things cost $2,299! Of course, you know that a cheaper laptop without a dual core chip and two Gigs of memory would run Vista a lot slower, so big bucks were required.

Since decent advertising would cost much more that Acer Ferrari's, this was a brilliant marketing ploy on your part...and very smart, too. Since bloggers are not considered true journalists, they can keep their gifts with no repercussions...whereas a real journalist, such as those who work on newspapers, TV or radio, are required to return such gifts by the very ethics of their profession, not to mention the companies they work for. But, bloggers, like myself, who are bound only by their conscience, can keep their newfound laptops and easily figure out some way in their minds to justify keeping it.

And, no doubt, they would wind up giving your products great reviews as part of their justification. I know I probably would. But to be honest, I like many of your products and have given them good reviews on these pages. And I know your new operating system and other new products that are not out yet are probably really good, even if they require a more expensive computer to run them.

My question is why I was not on the list to get one of these laptops? I have been blogging for several years and writing weekly technology newsletters before that. I have a loyal following of intelligent readers from around the world, many of whom are on a list to automatically receive an e-mail copy of my blog every time I write one. They rely on me for good information, so, I am a perfect target for a new laptop. I write about technology for the common man...the majority of folks who don't know a bit from a byte, who only want computers to be a useful tool in their lives.

Now, if you are mad at me for those few times that I have hammered you for either lousy software products (remember Bob or Windows ME) or your business ethics...you know deep down I was right, so don't hold that against me. You have hurt a lot of people who have trusted you. Someone needs to be your conscience to remind you of your occasional errant ways. My wife Susan does that for me...but who do you have other than a few journalists and bloggers like me.

But, I know that if I had an Acer Ferrari in my hands, I would give Vista a great review...many times probably. In fact, I will make it even easier for you. If you would give me a new desktop computer, comparably equipped, I would still give you a great review and you could save some major dollars. I don't even need a monitor because I have two extras sitting around doing nothing. How's that for a good deal? For the money I am saving you, you could probably throw in a copy of the new Microsoft Office and I would give you another great review or two. After all, I use Office now and love it. I am perfect for one of your promotional computers.

I anxiously await your reply.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

product ceramic newsletters textbook persecuting secsurvey phils motion resultstable worksheet bracket
lolikneri havaqatsu