Wednesday, December 27, 2006

First Vista Speed Tests

Now that the release of Microsoft's new operating system, Windows Vista, is just around the corner, maybe it's time to look at whether or not you should upgrade your computer to accommodate Vista...or just buy a whole new machine...or do nothing. To that end, PC World Magazine has done an in-depth testing study on these issues. If Vista is of interest to you, I think you should read the entire article.

If you don't want to do that, here is a quick summary:
  1. Vista is generally slower on most PC's except those running dual-core processors.
  2. The absolute minimum of RAM that you need is 1 GB. 2 GB is a better idea.
  3. If you wish to use Aero, the stunning new visual display that comes with Vista, you will need a separate video card with its own memory. Many computers today come with integrated graphics built on to the motherboard and if you use Aero with those kinds of machines, you can expect a major slowdown in performance. Aero can be turned off.
  4. If you have a high-end 64 bit processor, Vista runs slower than the standard 32 bit processors that most of us have.
Frankly, I am one of those people that is trying to decide whether to buy a new computer next month so that it comes with Vista, or get one now equipped with XP (there are some good bargains out their now). I need a new computer to work at home some I can do some of my artwork in the mornings and evenings without having to go to the office.

After reading the article from PC World, I know now that I will need to buy one with a dual-core processor, more memory, and its own video card, if I want to run Vista. But about the only thing that is really cool about Vista is Aero. At a minimum, I am looking at at least $250 more for a computer (probably more) to have the Vista operating system that will run Aero. I haven't made a decision yet, but I am leaning toward saving my money and just getting one with XP. Vista will not help me paint or process photographs any better.

If you would like to learn more about Vista and its features, head over to the Microsoft Web site. It is worth the effort.

No comments: