Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The New Monitor Connections

For many years, ever since the advent of VGA and Super VGA monitors, there has been only one way to connect you monitor to your computer...a VGA connection. Most monitors come standard with a VGA connector that plugs directly into the computer. Just recently, I ordered and received a new wide-format flat panel monitor for my new home computer. I noticed that besides the VGA connector, it came with something called a DVI connection. No DVI wire was included and there was nothing but a VGA connector on my computer anyway...but I got to wondering what DVI was.

I began exploring the Internet and found that DVI was not the only new type of connector out there. There was HDMI, UDI, and DisplayPort. Sometimes this ol' computer world moves faster than I can keep up...which I shouldn't admit since I write about technology.

Never-the-less, I found an interesting article (not real long) on the ExtremeTech web site that you might enjoy reading to learn about monitors and all these new-fangled connections before you go out and buy your next one. I hope it is helpful.

No comments: