Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Free Movies from IMDB

For almost as long as I have been on the Net, I've been a frequent user of IMDB.com, the best movie and TV show database anywhere. If a movie or TV show was ever made anywhere in the world, IMBD (Internet Movie Data Base) has all the info about it. I don't know how many times I've watched a movie and wanted to know where I might have seen an actor or actress before. With IMDB I can enter the movie, scan the character's name, see the actor's name who is playing the part, then click on the name to see what other films they have been in.

IMBD has amazing cross-referenced names and many other features that allow you explore in depth. And it is interactive as you can review films and even submit errors and omissions you may find.

For several years, they have carried movie clips and trailer, but now they have finally taken the final evolutionary step...they now have over 6,000 films and TV shows that you can watch for free. For instance, as I write these words I am watching "Master and Commander," the action film with Russell Crowe. It is a little dark, but I could adjust my screen if I so desired.

The good news is that it works on Firefox. The Netflix movie machine only works on Internet Explorer. There was a short commercial for Honda at the beginning of the film, but that is OK.

I'd still rather watch a movie on my large screen TV with 5.1 surround, but still it is a step in the right direction, especially for IMDB. Check it out.

No comments: