Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Re-Evaluating Microsoft OneNote

Back in April, I wrote a blog about EverNote (free) vs Microsoft's OneNote (Not Free). If you forgot, these programs are a new type of software that can best be described as notebooks...where you collect data from everywhere and put them all in one place. At the time, I really liked the possibilities of OneNote, but had problems with the way it imported or copied Web pages.

Recently, I had pause to re-evaluate because of a book I read titled, "Take Back Your Life...Using Microsoft Outlook to Get Organized and Stay Organized," by Sally McGhee. I got a lot out of this book as it approaches organization in a whole new way. I adopted a large portion of her principles in my daily life now and it is working quite well.

The book title is a bit misleading as it really is more about organizational concepts rather than Outlook, although Outlook plays an important part of her plan. However, the book also mentions using OneNote...and being somewhat familiar with OneNote, I decided the program might better fit my needs (and the book's organizational plan), more so than Outlook. I like Outlook, but its inability to share data across computers makes it impractical for me (there is a way to do it, but it costs $10 a month.).

So, I decided to stick to my Thunderbird e-mail software, continue using my current Lotus Organizer...and try out OneNote for augmentation. I downloaded a 60 day trial copy from Microsoft and began using it and learning more about it.

Without getting into too many details, I found OneNote to be just what I needed to better organize my life and keep it all in one place. In less than 30 days, I decided to go ahead and purchase the program (about $58 for the Home and Student Version).

OneNote is organized like a Notebook, even on your screen. First you have a notebook with a title...and using my examples, I have two notebooks...one for my personal life and one for my professional life. Inside each notebook is a subsection (shown by tabs at the top of the screen). I have a subsection for photography, weddings, portraits, Web site, plus others for projects I am currently working on.

Inside each subsection are individual pages on subjects relating to each subsection (shown as tabs on the right of the screen). For instance, under Weddings, I have individual pages on each wedding I am doing it with my notes and e-mail's from each client. I also created a to-do list at the top of each page to remind me what has to be done for each one.

Creating new pages is simple and the program offers many templates for this purpose. I created a couple of templates for my own use...but there are many templates included for college students, businesses, meetings, to-do lists and many decorative blank pages. Creating notes on new pages couldn't be easier as they can be inserted anywhere on a page.

I have created many to-do lists for both personal and business projects that I use everyday and can check off those items after they are completed.

Now back in April, I did write that bringing Web pages into OneNote is a bit disconcerting as it doesn't put in the paragraph spacing that is present in the original page. I still have to work around that, but this nuisance is more than offset by OneNote's other assets.

I could write a great deal more, but if what I have written here sounds like it might be helpful for you, I suggest you give it a try, by downloading the 60 day trial version from Microsoft. There is an excellent tutorial that comes with the download to help get you started.

I also suggest you might want to read Sally McGhee's book. I purchased an almost new copy from an online used bookstore for about $2.50. It has been extremely helpful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In searching for sites related to web hosting and specifically comparison hosting linux plan web, your site came up.

rH3uYcBX

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.