Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Netflix Losing, Chrome Gaining

I mentioned last time that I still had not received an invitation to join Google+, the social media rage that has taken the tech world by storm…well sort of.  With 20 million users now, it isn’t close to Facebook yet, but most users seem to like it. Thanks to my favorite Kindle blogger, Andrys Basten, who sent me an invitation to join, I now have a Google+account.

Sadly my schedule has not allowed me to play with it very much, but I will be doing so and will let you know soon what I think. Am looking forward to giving it a spin.

Some interesting stories below, so why don’t I just shut up and let you read… - JRC

Raising Prices Could Cost Netflix 2.5M Subscribers

Price hikes are unpopular, and Netflix's could cost 2.5 million of its more than 25 million subscribers, a survey by The Diffusion Group says. Netflix noted in its earnings report that video streaming has been popular with nearly 75 percent of new subscribers. However, the Netflix price hikes may be accepted because there are few other options.

Google Chrome continues its rapid rise, IE and Firefox fall

If you’re looking for a tech success story, look no further than Google’s Chrome browser. Introduced less than three years ago, it has soared in popularity among techies and civilians worldwide. And its gains are coming at the direct expense of Microsoft and Mozilla.

Windows Live Photo Gallery Gains Raw Format Support

Microsoft announced today that its free (and excellent) photo editing and management solution, Windows Live Photo Gallery, can be updated with a free codec pack to support many popular RAW file formats. These formats are used by high-end (and even consumer-grade) cameras to provide superior, uncompressed files when compared to the more widely used (but compressed) JPEG formatted files.

Why I switched from Dropbox to Windows Live Mesh

I cannot imagine personal computing without a reliable, robust, full-featured sync solution. Over the past year or so, I’ve been using both Dropbox and Windows Live Mesh to keep my work files, pictures, Office settings, bookmarks, and other files in sync across multiple devices. I’ve used each service extensively, on the web, on every PC I own, and on the Mac that shares my desktop with a Windows PC.

Google+: The right service at the right time

Many of the arguments against social networking that apply to Facebook don't carry over to Google+. It looks like Google has another home run on its hands

CNET's favorite Android apps (CNET 100)

Do you own an Android Phone? I do and I love it. If you also have one, here is a list of the top 100 applications for it, as compiled by several CNET editors. Definitely worth a look if you are into Android.

The Best Alternative File Browser for Windows

Windows Explorer is hardly the perfect tool for advanced file management, and Windows users have a ton of alternatives available. The decision is a difficult one, but if we had to recommend one file browser, we'd pick Xplorer2 for Windows.

No comments: