Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Good: The New iPad…The Bad and Ugly: Windows 8

I’ve been playing with Windows 8 on and off for nearly a week now, and here is my preliminary opinion…it stinks. I don’t like it, I won’t buy it, and when I get around to purchasing a tablet computer, it won’t be running Windows 8…at least that is how I feel right now. Here is why:

It doesn’t work very well…plain and simple…and it makes no sense to run a Metro interface on a regular computer.  Several Metro apps just sit there and stare at me. After several days of trying, I got the Windows Mail App to finally work today...not sure how that happened. And that doesn’t mean it will work tomorrow. I‘ve had apps that worked one day, but not the next. Most are slow to load, although some are fine. For instance, I loaded the Kindle Metro-style app for Windows 8 and it worked well.

But last week, I loaded the Evernote Metro version and it is horrible…it works but is absolutely worthless! I’m sure they will make it better, but for now, don’t bother. The regular Evernote works normally when I switch from the Metro interface back to the desktop. I also created Metro interfaces to my favorite programs like Firefox and they work…but all they did was switch me back to my desktop interface…then run. So, Microsoft, please tell me why I need a Metro interface? The fact is I don’t. The so-called Metro tiles are nothing more than big square icons…and I’ve got plenty of those now.

The truth is that Windows 8 is made for a tablet…not a desktop. I really wanted to like it as I see what Microsoft is trying to do…and in theory it is a good idea. But it doesn’t work very well for a desktop or laptop computer user. So, I won’t be upgrading. But, all of us will have no choice later this year if we go out to buy a new computer…because that is what will be installed.

By the way, I tried to install it as a dual boot system on one of my Windows 7 computers on a newly created separate partition, but it refused to load. Said I didn’t have enough space…100GB is not enough? But they said it would run in 20GB. I tried and tried different options including a virtual drive…nothing worked…so I have officially given up that idea. There’s several hours of my life I won’t get back.

Want to see what its like for veteran Windows users trying out Windows 8 for the first time? Check out the videos included in our very first story. But there is more in here than just Windows 8, so read on. JRC

Windows 8 fails the 'dad test'

A couple of YouTube videos show 'normal' Windows users tackling Windows 8 for the first time. The results are sobering.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview: Does This Even Make Sense?

There are in fact, very serious issues to discuss around Windows 8. Very, very serious issues. And I have yet to really raise these issues in a meaningful way. So I'll do so now.

What you need to know about the third-generation iPad (FAQ)

The new tablet is set to hit store shelves on March 16. Apple has already outlined the basic new specs of the device. But there is still some confusion around what some of these new features are and how they can be used. In this FAQ, CNET answers some of these questions and provides a basic primer on what Apple is calling simply, the new iPad.

New iPad vs. Top Android Tablets: Specs Compared

The new iPad is finally here, but how does it stack up against the top Android tablets available right now? Check out our side-by-side comparison.

Go feds! E-books are way overpriced

For the last couple of years, electronic book buyers have paid a high price for one Apple CEO's ambition to make life miserable for Amazon.

Encyclopedia Britannica's 2010 edition to be its last

The company decided that the 2010 version (which costs $1,400) will be the final edition. Britannica will sell its remaining 4,000 copies of the encyclopedia, and then end its run.

Cell phone battery life charts

In the following charts, you'll find the tested talk-time battery life for hundreds of cell phones and smartphones, past and present. Models are grouped by manufacturer, so be sure to check your phone's corresponding chart to see our test results.

446 Places for Free Books and Audiobooks Online

Some time ago I went looking for some free eBooks and was surprised to find that there are many resources for this. I decided to put together this list of sites that offer free eBooks as a reference.

On the Web: The Khan Academy

With a library of over 3,000 videos covering everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, art and history and 315 practice exercises, this great site is on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace. I’ve done 3 videos on art history and they were very interesting.

No comments: