Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How Windows 8 Drove Me To The Apple Store

Buying a tablet computer has been on my agenda for a few months now. I don’t move quickly on decisions like this as I like to investigate all the options to make the right choice…after all, we are talking a lot of dollars here.  I looked at the first generation of Kindle Fire and decided it looks good, but the second generation will be better…and a 7” screen is just a little too small for me.

Over the holidays, I looked at several Android-based tablets, but was not in love with any of them…except for the new Asus Transformer Prime which came out a few days before Christmas. That looked like a killer machine…except it was not available anywhere to see, much less purchase (and it still is not except if you want to wait a month to get one). But, while I would be buying a pig-in-a-poke, it was still on the list.  So, I postponed any decision till later. I knew Apple was going to release their 3rd Generation iPad in March…and knew it would be an excellent machine. So I waited.

Then came the announcement of Windows 8 operating system for both a tablet and desktop computers. I really bought into this concept and was willing to postpone my decision until Autumn (it was announced today it will be released in October) if the system was good. Well, you know from previous posts that I am severely disappointed in Windows 8…and the more I played with it, the bigger the disappointment became. Now, I am to the point where I would never put Win 8 on my desktop, much less buy one of their tablets. Microsoft had a good idea but executed it poorly. Frankly they made me mad with their shortsightedness…me, a long-time loyal and happy Windows user.

When the announcement came about the new iPad, it sounded impressive. The subsequent reviews have all been raves. My friend and photo buddy Dave from Wenatchee has the first iPad and loves it…and having played with his, I knew it was good…so #3 must be a killer. So, I made up my mind that sometime in the next two to three months I would make my purchase. The choices were down to the Apple iPad 3, the Asus Transformer Prime, or a new 2nd generation Kindle Fire with an unknown release date.

This weekend, Dave came into town on his way to do a show in Houston. We decided to visit the Apple Store on Sunday to get a good look…this coming after he tried playing with Windows 8 on my laptop. We got into a long discussion about how dumb Microsoft is to come out with a product like this. So my blood was up, as the saying goes.

With all this as a background, we went to our local Apple Store and took a look…a long look. The screen on this thing is unbelievable! Its just like a high definition TV, only better. I watched some movie clips and was blown away. And the installed applications on the demo units just amazed me...so easy to use. I was in love.  When I walked in the Apple Store, I had no intention of buying one and figured they would haven’t any in stock after the huge weekend of sales (see story below). But they did…and after a bit of an internal struggle I bought one! I still can’t believe I did it.

And you know what? I love it. It works well with all my most important applications, including Microsoft products. I’ve installed several applications and they all work well. I’ve even got my bookmarks from Firefox into the Apple browser. I know now I made the right decision about which tablet to buy.

In this arena, Apple just knows what it is doing…while Microsoft stumbles and fumbles to get their first tablets out. As for Android, they are so fragmented with so many versions, and it doesn’t have near the number of applications available as Apple. The iPad is so well executed and easy to operate. Thanks, Microsoft for making my decision so easy. 

Windows 8 Tablets: a Recipe for Confusion?

Is Microsoft headed for disaster later this year when Windows 8 debuts on tablet devices some of which will not be able to run Windows 7 desktop apps, despite supporting an optional desktop interface?

Microsoft to world: You will browse Metro-style, or else

True, IE10 for Windows 8 will come in both a streamlined "Metro" version and a desktop version. But Microsoft is clearly pushing the former, though it risks confusing the heck out of users.

Apple iPad Review

Here is a very in-depth review of the New Apple iPad, complete with video and examples.

New iPad Launch Numbers: Three Million Sold

"The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold--the strongest iPad launch yet," Apple's Senior VP of Worldwide Marketing, Philip Schiller, said in a statement.

Has Google lost its magic?

Google may still be raking in the profits, but the mojo behind Gmail, Chrome, News, Translate, and Docs has started to fade in the face of stiffer competition.

Review: Five Ways To Control Your Privacy on Google

A new privacy policy from Google is stirring debate and worry. With the new data Google is collecting, Google gets can tailor ads that align more precisely with your interests, and those personalized ads are among the most lucrative for the company. Users should know what's happening and heed five tips to guard privacy if they feel the need

Remember Obama's National Broadband Plan? Neither Does Anyone Else

When he came into office in 2009, one cornerstone of President Obama's technology policy concerned correcting this via grants included in the economic stimulus package. In 2010, Obama delivered the National Broadband Plan. And last year, the president talked to Congress about his hopes to bring broadband to 98 percent of the country, and using wireless technology to do it. Little has worked.

Internet accounts for 4.7% of U.S. economy

The Internet contributes more to the American economy than the entire federal government, according to a new study by the Boston Consulting Group.

Prospective Employees Now Being Asked for Facebook Login Details

It's no surprise that employers check out the Facebook profiles of prospective employees—after all, you can learn a lot from what people choose to broadcast. But reports are amassing of employers asking recruits for their login details—and that's a step too far.

Gmail now tells you why it flagged an e-mail as spam

Gmail users can select any message banished to the spam folder and see a "Why is this message in Spam?" notice near the top. The notice will display a brief explanation accompanied by a "Learn more" link to a page describing the many reasons certain messages are considered spam.

Outlook4Gmail Freeware

Outlook4Gmail enables you to synchronize your Outlook contacts with your Gmail contacts, including name, phone number, address and other contact details.

No comments: