Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hold on Tight…There’s a Lot of Goo, Goo, Google Here

Believe me I didn’t plan it this way, but there was a lot of relevant info about Google products this week. I didn’t realize how much I had until I started to put this edition together.

The ramifications of last week’s Google I/O conference are still being felt by the tech media and users. They made a lot of changes and unified some products into a cohesive unit. This was never so evident in the makeover of Google+.

Now I have been somewhat negative about Google+ since it came out. I tried it and couldn’t decide what the point of it was. I still used it to post links to my blogs, but not much more than that.

Last week’s announcement caused me to take a second look, and I must say I like it better…although I still haven’t quite got the point yet. They definitely made it easier on the eyes and their total revamp and addition of user’s photos was a great move.

I have set up my iPhone to automatically send photos to Google+ immediately after I take them. They go into a private file and I can easily choose to share one or more whenever I want. And I can quite improve my photos quickly and easily using their built-in post processing tools. I like that simplicity for my simple iPhone snapshots.

I have been storing my photos on Picasa for years and those photos are now in albums on Google+. Google has obviously put a lot of time and effort into Google+, but they still have a long way to go to overtake Facebook in the social media world. But they keep plugging away (see story #5).

I also like what they have done with voice activated search, both in Google Search and in Google Now. The latter is available on iPhone and Android Phones…and critics are saying the iPhone app is kicking Siri’s bottom. I know I said in a previous edition that I wasn’t interested in Now, but I think I will give it a try just to see what all the shouting is about. I’ve included a guide to setting up Now if you are interested (story #4).

There’s more to the world than Google, and we have got some other interesting tidbits for you…including a story about Twitter security and a new feature added to Evernote. So, let’s get ‘er done! - JRC

And the study says: Windows 8 users rarely touch Metro apps

Windows 8's very future hinges on the success of its apps. This new report digs into how often people really use those apps on a daily basis...and its not pretty.

How Google plans to rule the computing world through Chrome

Are you ready for Google to take over the desktop? You’d better be if you use Chrome. With it, Google is making a play to rule the computing world as a back door to a new app economy.

Google's conversational search arrives with new Chrome

The company is taking a step closer to natural-language questions and answers and farther from search boxes and hyperlinks.

A Great Guide to Google Now

You won’t get great results unless you set Google Now up with all the information it needs. Here is a guide to help you get started with this amazing software.

If Google+ Is Good, Why Does Google Force It On Us?

Google really, really wants us to like Google+. Google is embedding Google+ into each of its products, making it increasingly difficult to use its services without embracing the Google+ borg, whether you want to or not.

Twitter Finally Adds Two-Factor Authentication to Secure Your Account

Two-factor authentication uses your password and an additional method to verify your identity. Google's two-factor authentication, launched in 2010, texts a code to your mobile number when a new device or app initially accesses your account.

Grownups speak to startups: We're not into technology just because it's cool

While the 50-and-over population and doctors appear to be dissimilar markets, selling to either requires a deep understanding of customer needs rather than just a sense of having "the next big thing.

Evernote adds Reminders to Mac, iOS and web applications (video)

Today Evernote introduces Evernote's Reminders feature for Mac, iOS and web applications.

Get Organized: 5 Tips for Microsoft Outlook

When it comes to email overload, Microsoft Outlook sometimes feels like part of the problem, but with these five essential features, it will once again be part of the solution.

Top social photo sites for browsing and sharing

Whether you enjoy the artistry of photography or the social aspects of photo sharing, choosing the right service is important.

Nifty Way to Find Out What Your Windows Computer Has Been Doing

Have you ever wondered what has been going on in your PC? Has there ever been some strange computer activity and you wanted to know what it meant? Here’s a quick and easy way to find out.

No comments: