Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Too Much, Too Soon…Where to Begin

It’s been a busy time since we last spoke on Thursday. Here is a quick synopsis: Microsoft shows off its new Xbox; Yahoo Buys Tumblr; Chinese Hackers resume their attacks; and Flickr users (including me) are surprised, shocked, and even angered by the site changes. Wow!

But for me, the last few days were even busier. First, I started getting messages from Avast that Outlook.com, my mail provider was sending me a some sort of Trojan Horse script to infect my computer. It shut down my access to my mail in Firefox, Chrome, and IE. Later, I was able to gain access via IE, so I deleted all the mail I received that day. Well, that wasn’t it. I could only believe that it was Outlook.com itself that was trying to send the dangerous script. Later in the day, Avast stopped sending warning, so whatever the problem was got fixed.

That was the last straw. I was already having problems with the Outlook.com junk mail filters. It was taking out mail specifically marked as being safe. Nothing I did worked. Even mail from me was marked as junk. It all started the day Microsoft upgraded their Outlook.com calendar…and you know what I thought about that. Too bad, I still like the Outlook.com interface.

I immediately started switching all my mail back over to Gmail. I am not happy with the Gmail interface, but the application itself (and the junk mail filters) are very good. I decided to find an e-mail interface that would work like I do…and I found one. It’s called eM Client (see the last story)  and it works like a dream. It is exactly what I need for my desktop and it works seamlessly with Gmail and Apple Mail (on my iPad and iPhone). Problem solved.

Next problem…my LastPass would log off every time I turned off Firefox and would not come back when I went back in to the program. I had to enter the rather long password every time. It took a few days of digging and swearing, but I finally solved the problem this morning. Whew.

Next problem…my Diigo button stopped working and would not let me reconnect. Diigo is the program I use to bookmark save stories for this blog on a daily basis. It has worked seamlessly for years and seemed to stop working when I upgraded to the latest version of Firefox. However it didn’t work in Chrome either…but worked fine in IE. I suspect they made some changes that did not work out right.

I solved that problem first by switching to Delicious.com…then installing a Diigo Toolbar. I hate toolbars, but this one does work. The good news is with Firefox, I can remove and show the toolbar at will. So fear not, good friends, this blog will continue unabated.

So that is my story and am sticking too it. Too bad about Outlook.com, but I can’t be messing around with an iffy e-mail program. Another black mark in my book for Microsoft.

Well all the good stories of the day and some new information and tips are all here in this edition…so have at it. -JRC

Microsoft unveils Xbox One

The Xbox One includes games, TV, movies, music, the Web, and apps. It has Skype and live TV capabilities, as well as voice recognition to switch between programs

Yahoo Buys Tumblr and Promises "Not to Screw It Up"

With more than 300 million monthly unique visitors and 120,000 signups every day, Tumblr is one of the fastest-growing media networks in the world. Tumblr sees 900 posts per second (!) and 24 billion minutes spent on site each month.

Chinese Hackers Resume Attacks on U.S. Targets

Three months after hackers working for a cyberunit of China’s People’s Liberation Army went silent amid evidence that they had stolen data from scores of American companies and government agencies, they appear to have resumed their attacks using different techniques,

Flickr users: We hate the new site

Flickr's parent Yahoo unveiled a slew of changes to the photo-sharing site, revamping the familiar style of the home page, photo page, and photo stream page. The company also increased the free storage space per user to a hefty 1TB and updated its Android app. So, what's the problem?

SkyDrive, Google+ Photos and Flickr, Oh My!

Recent updates to several photo services have me rethinking my plans

Top 5 Android Camera Apps

As the geek world drools over the first 13-megapixel smartphone camera -- the Android-driven Samsung Galaxy S4 -- TechNewsWorld takes a look at the current state-of-play in the must-have camera app genre for Android.

Amazon Cloud Drive Photos Syncs Your iPhone's Camera Roll

iPhone: Apple's Photo Stream, which automatically backs up and syncs your last 1000 photos for up to 30 days, is a boon for iPhone photographers, but Amazon just rolled out an app that tops it with lots of free storage.

Easier Way to Use and Manage Libraries in Windows 7 and 8

Windows 7 introduced a new way to organize files called “Libraries”. Libraries are virtual folders that can centralize related items from multiple locations. However, their benefits are lost on many PC users If you would like an easier way to take advantage of Libraries, here is something to try."

How to keep the feds from snooping on your cloud data

A cottage industry is growing up around virtual padlocks that consumers can place on cloud services so that the vendors themselves can't get to the information -- even if the government requests access.

15 killer apps for Google Chrome - InfoWorld

These browser-based apps can compete with their desktop counterparts

eM Client - Excellent desktop mail client for Gmail and Others.

eM Client is super fast replacement for MS Outlook or Thunderbird that can fully synchronize with Gmail, Hotmail and other services. eM Client is Free for Home

No comments: