Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The iPad: My 2 Cents

First, let me say I am a confirmed Windows computer user and don’t feel the need to move over to the Apple computing system, even though I think very highly of their products.  That being said, I do have an 80Gb Apple iPod that I use with iTunes…and I love them both.  They work extremely well for me. Apple puts out many great products…so I am not in any way anti-Apple.

It also just so happens I am looking to buy a new netbook soon. I have a laptop that works fine, but it is just too heavy to lug around the places I like to go and work…like the University of Arizona campus that takes 30 minutes to cross. I want something lightweight that has a long battery life so I don’t need a charger with me and is big enough to comfortably type on.

Now that you know where I am coming from, be aware that I was excited to hear about the new Apple iPad on Wednesday and really liked it at first glance…and was blown away by the price. After watching the introduction by Steve Jobs, the iPad was now under strong consideration.

But, on Thursday, as I did some digging and I began looking at its strengths and weaknesses and how it would apply to my needs…and I can’t make that point strong enough, this review is about my needs.  Your needs may be different and so the iPad may be just perfect for you.

Strengths – It has a long battery life; a beautiful large back-lit screen; the ability to use free Wi-Fi and not be married to AT&T; its lighter than a Netbook; you can watch movies; and it has lots of other good features too numerous to name here that make it fun and useful to use. 

Weaknesses – For me, there are several…

First, the keyboard is in the screen, which makes it difficult for a writer as compared to a regular keyboard (one expert who says he can write 80 words per minute on a keyboard is slowed down to 15 word per minute on an iPad), not to mention greasy fingerprints. Just as important, one has to look down to see the screen when you write. That means you must use it on your lap…or if you use a table you have to strain you neck to see what you are writing. With a netbook, laptop, or regular computer, you stare straight ahead at your screen. Because I write so much, that is a deal killer for me…and I don’t feel like dragging the optional keyboard with stand along with me. 

But wait, there is more...

The screen is backlit, making reading a book a little harder on the eyes than my Kindle…which also means it can’t be read easily outside. I can read my Kindle anywhere where there is light, as it is just like reading a paper book.  So having the iPad as a portable e-reader may not work for me either.

For Web browsing, it looks good, until you figure out that it cannot use Adobe Flash. Being that a large majority of Websites (including mine) use Flash on their pages, that makes it much more difficult to browse (if you use Facebook and play their games, forget it).

Other problems: It has no camera so I can’t videoconference or use Skype (that is not a deal killer for me)…it has no USB ports so I can’t upload my photos in the field…I can’t store more than 64GB of files (the most basic Netbook has 160GB drive)…can’t download programs via a CD drive and can only add content from the Apple Store…there is no multitasking so you can only do one thing at a time…you can use a Bluetooth keyboard, but not a Bluetooth mouse, and it is twice as heavy as a Kindle 2.

The bottom line for me is the iPad is made mostly for content consumption whereas most of my needs are for content creation.

So, for me, the iPad currently does not work, so I will continue in my hunt to find the best netbook.  As much as I might enjoy owning one, it would just be another device that would not replace either my netbook or my Kindle, or anything else for that matter. But, I look forward to seeing the next version of the iPad as I think Apple is on the right track.

Again, I cannot emphasis enough that my review applies only to me and my needs. If the iPad fits your needs, then it is for you, although I still advise caution in buying it now as the best of the iPad is yet to come.   

No comments: