Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Surprise!! Windows 10 is Now on My Laptop

startmenu

After 5 months of waiting, Samsung and Microsoft got their act together and I was able to upgrade my Samsung laptop to Windows 10. Was I shocked when the notification popped up! I have been checking the computer on and off for the entire 5 months, hoping to get the upgrade. I even called Samsung a while back and after getting inside my computer, they said I could not upgrade yet..and didn’t know when I could!

Anyway, with trembling hands and a shaky heart, I pushed the upgrade button and let the process begin. I waited and waited and waited…for more than two hours for the installation to complete. It definitely took longer than my desktop computer or my MAC (running Parallels). But when all was said and done, Windows 10 was up a running just fine. Surprise!

I think the laptop definitely runs Windows 10 faster than it ran Windows 8.  So glad that piece of junk is off my system, hopefully forever. I went through and tweaked the system and added more software. All went well there too. So I am finally a happy camper with my Samsung laptop. Of course it should have never taken that long to get the upgrade. The fault was entirely with Samsung. They did not work with Microsoft before the release of Windows 10 to update their drivers.

Since I mostly use my MacBook Pro laptop these days, I am not entirely sure what I am going to do with the Samsung. I can put Windows on my MacBook, but have not done it yet. There are a couple of very important programs I use that are only available in Windows…one being the software I use to write this blog. So I may find use for my Samsung now that it seems to work properly. More testing is needed.

On another subject, I hope you survived Black Friday and Cyber Monday. My inbox was overflowing with ads the last few days. Of course I always have to check those ads out as there are some pretty good deals to be had. But, I did not buy anything other than a gift for my son. I certainly did not go out to the stores. And apparently neither did a majority of shoppers (see story #2).

Of course, we are a long way from Christmas so our inboxes are sure to remain full of irresistible items. That being said, it is time for you to peruse this newsletter and look for stories that might be of interest. -JRC

Tech News and Opinions

Revealed: FBI can demand web history, phone location data without a warrant

The FBI can use national security letters (NSLs) to force companies to turn over sensitive user data without a warrant, according to filings.

 

Online shoppers outnumber in-store shoppers over Thanksgiving weekend

Consumers cite avoiding crowds, saving time and finding better or similar deals as top reasons for shopping on the Internet.

 

BlackBerry says no to Pakistani backdoor gambit

In response to a demand for backdoor access to its enterprise messaging products, BlackBerry is completely pulling out of the Pakistan market.

 

The Target breach, two years later

With the annual orgy of holiday shopping officially kicking off this week, has anything really changed since the breach that rocked retail?

 

There are more Mac malware attacks in 2015 than last five years combined

Of course, Macs are hardly immune to cyber attacks, but hackers and attackers usually target the most popular operating systems, and before the rise of the Mac, that meant targeting the PC more than the Mac.

Computer Tips and Tricks

Get 30 New Fonts For Your PC, Completely Free

If you feel as if your documents need a new look, it's time to change your font. Although Windows comes with loads of fonts by default, it's easy to install new ones.

 

How to add any website to Windows 10's Start menu

This method is that links will only open in Edge. Fortunately, there's a way around that. If you want links to open in your default browser instead of Edge, you have to use a little bit of trickery, but nothing too complicated.

 

What is Encryption, and Why Are People Afraid of It?

With recent acts of terrorism in Paris and Lebanon, news media and government have been using the word “encryption” as if it’s somehow to blame. Nonsense. Encryption is easy to understand, and if you’re not using it, you should be.

 

Stay Focused With Personal Kanban

The work-management system popular among software developers is also useful for everything from tracking kids' chores to planning weddings. What is personal kanban, and how can it help you?

 

What’s the Difference Between a Modem and a Router?

Many Internet service providers offer combined modem/router units, but a modem isn’t the same thing as a router. Understanding exactly what a modem is is important so you can buy your own modem.

Mobile Computing

How to make your iPhone run better in 10 seconds

Usually, the solution is to power off and restart the device, but if you inexplicably only have 10 seconds to sort out your iPhone’s issues, here’s a handy trick to help you out.

 

Can a Tablet Replace Your Laptop? Asking the Right Questions

The advent of this new class of hybrid PC-tablet devices means that buying a computer can be pretty tricky these days.

 

Why your next cell phone should be unlocked

Purchasing a smartphone from your cellular-service provider typically comes with all sorts of compromises, restrictions, and limitations. But an unlocked Nexus phone can eliminate many, if not all, of these problems.

 

Sidefari for iPad makes it possible to view two Safari tabs at once on iOS 9

Apple added a lot of new features to the iPad in in iOS 9, but viewing two browser tabs at once wasn't one of them

 

Save data on Android with Opera Max

This Android app helps you save data by compressing photos, videos and, most recently, music when you watch and stream them. The compression idea isn't new, but it is effective.

No comments: