Friday, December 16, 2005

Understanding Battery Types

Not to long ago, I did some research into batteries as I was about to purchase a flash unit for my digital camera. My flash unit takes four AA batteries and I was looking to find out whether I should consider buying rechargeable batteries or just use high quality alkaline batteries that are disposed of after use. I thought I would share some of my research with you.

Disposable Batteries

Alkaline - They last the longest and you can usually find them on sale someplace. Personally, I have had the best luck with the Duracell brand as they seem to last much longer than other brands. There is also the Duracell Ultra, which is more expensive, but, in my experience, does last longer than the regular Duracell alkaline. But, if you are using something like a photo flash on a regular basis, using disposable batteries may get too expensive and may not be the best solution (see below).

Lithium - These batteries are the most powerful batteries you can get, but they are expensive, and they are toxic so you can't just throw them in the trash. (You're supposed to take them to your community's hazardous waste facility.) They're great for devices that use the 9Volt size, since they'll last a long time (10 years in smoke detectors). Don't confuse these with Lithium Ion batteries that are used in cell phones and laptops.

Heavy Duty - Also known as General Purpose batteries. These are Carbon Zinc & Zinc Chloride batteries. They're misnamed as they don't last very long and Carbon Zincs are very susceptible to leaking. Avoid these.

Recharageable Batteries

Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) - Bottom line: these are the best all around rechargeable batteries that you can buy today. Don't confuse these batteries with the Nickel-Cadmium (NiCad) type (which I did at first). NiMH replaced NiCad in the rechargeable battery world. NiMH's have much higher capacity than NiCd's and don't suffer from memory effect (see below) . NiMH's are excellent all-around batteries but they have a high self-discharge rate (great for digital cameras, flashes, and portable radios), but they go dead after a few months even if you don't use them, so they're not good for things like emergency flashlights or smoke detectors.

Nickel-Cadmium (NiCad) - As mentioned above, these are now obsolete and suffer from memory loss if you recharge them before fully discharging the battery. Memory loss means that a full charge will not last as long as it once did.

Lithium Ion - As already mentioned, these are excellent, long life batteries that used in cell phones and laptop computers. They do not come in regular sizes such AA, AAA, C, D, and ( Volt radio batteries.

Rechargeable Alkaline - These batteries can't be recharged nearly as many times as NiMH or even NiCad. They also can't be used in high-drain devices like digital cameras, and their capacity drops every time they're charged. But they're fine if you need a rechargeable that puts out more voltage than an NiMH.

Price Considerations

In my case, I chose to go with NiMH rechargeable batteries, based on cost and from reading what other photographers had to say about my particular flash unit. Not only would these batteries last a long time, they will bring my flash unit back to full charge in only one second...Much faster than regular alkaline batteries. When I found out that I could buy 4 rechargeable AA batteries for $2.50 each, that clinched it for me.

After reading other reviews of different batteries brands, I chose the PowerEx 2500 MAh battery made by Maha, the best and longest life battery they make. Of course, I had to buy a charger for the batteries which is a little more expensive. Again, after some research I chose the Powerex C-204W charger. I purchased a package deal with 8 batteries and a charger for $44.95 from Thomas Distributing. The charger not only charges batteries, but reconditions older batteries.

So far, my new batteries are still running strong in my flash unit. With 8 fully charge batteries, I should have no worries about running out of flash power when photographing weddings. I plan to buy more for other appliances that use AA batteries.

I hope my experiences and research can be of some benefit to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well what do you know I finally found what I was looking for. I was looking for discount battery but found something better.

Take a break and visit sometime :)
http://odysseybatterystore.com you guessed it we handle discount battery. I'll come back I found something interesting on your Blog.