Friday, August 14, 2009

My Yahoo vs iGoogle

My Yahoo has been around for many years. I first started using it in the 20th century.  iGoogle is a relative newcomer.  So what are they?

They used to be called “Portals,” your personal gateway to the wonders of the Internet.  With a good Portal, you design your own page for the information you want to see.  For instance, when I use my personalized My Yahoo, I see news from around the world, around the nation, and even news from Tucson. For sports, I have the NFL news from several different sources.  I also have photography information, tech news and reviews, astronomy and many many other bits of information from my favorite on-line magazines and blogs…all organized my way and my own selections.

On a more personal level, it shows my calendar info from Yahoo Calendar, my Yahoo email’s, scores and schedules from sports of my choice, local weather and more.

They are constantly updated as most are RSS feeds, so when new information is put on sites, it is automatically posted to My Yahoo. You can even select my blogs to be on your My Yahoo page (just click on the RSS feed link on either of my blog Web sites…no pressure), then select My Yahoo.  It is easy use and most blogs have an RSS link.

As I said, I’ve been using My Yahoo for many years.  I love it and use it many times a day. It has been updated and changed by Yahoo to take advantage of new Web capabilities.

But, how does it stack up against iGoogle? To put it succinctly, iGoogle stinks! It doesn’t even come close to being a decent portal. If My Yahoo is an A+, iGoogle is an F-. Maybe I should just give it an incomplete grade. It cannot even read my GMail because I choose to use a secure encrypted connection (SSL). Its selection of content is pathetically weak.

To be fair, Google does have another program that is more useful. It is called Google Reader. It’s designed for reading your favorite blogs and other Web sites. You add your favorites and it keeps you up to date. It is a good program, but not as personalized as My Yahoo.  To get that you need to run both iGoogle and Google Reader.

Why do that when My Yahoo does it in one location. My Yahoo scores a big win in this category.

In an upcoming blog I promise to find some really good Google programs.  There are some, to be sure. 

4 comments:

omar said...

interesting review, though, very biased

Anonymous said...

Not only biased, but it doesn't say why yahoo is better than google, just that it is, and very much so. The only detail in the article about the blogs veers off the topic.

Anonymous said...

I have used My Yahoo for several years. I have tried to like igoogle and MSN but I keep coming back to my yahoo for the ease of use and the content. For me it just works better.

Anonymous said...

Yahoo is much better from except for one thing, RSS feeds. Igoogle allows you to manage your feeds so much better that I use igoogle just for this feature. Yahoo has no management features period.