Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Surprise!! I’m Not Dead

I know its been a long time since you’ve heard from me, but I am back. I’ve got a good excuse…I’ve been a pretty sick puppy. First came a very nasty cold and bronchitis, followed by the worst sinus infection in the history of mankind…four weeks of it before the meds started to clear it up.

The worst part was what it did to my brain. I could not concentrate or remember things and I couldn’t even look at a computer. During the time I was sick, I also had 20 straight days of company and had to do my best to entertain them. They come because March is the best month of the year in Tucson.

So it has taken a long time to recover…and I am almost there. The aftereffect was my ears filling with liquid so I could not hear worth a damn. But that is almost gone now, so I am slowly getting back in the saddle of a normal life.

I’m not sure you missed much by my absence. The big story lately has been the release of the Apple Watch. It went on sale last Friday and sold out in a couple of hours…or so Apple says. That seems to happen to them a lot. Anyway, I have no interest in one, but if you do, place your order now and sit back for two month until it is delivered. Educated estimates say they sold around one million watches this last weekend.

I have more to tell you about my adventures in the Apple world, but will save that for an upcoming edition. Its all good.

Meanwhile, Microsoft keeps sending out updated technical previews for Windows 10. As you know, I run Windows 7 and 10 inside Parallels on my iMac. The latest preview included the first look at Project Spartan, the browser that will replace Internet Explorer. Although I have not played with it much, for reasons enumerated above, I like it. It is fast and easy to use.

I may have been to ill to update this blog, but I did keep up with tech world as best I could. So I hope you are glad that I am back. -JRC

 

Tech News and Opinion

Windows and Office get four Critical updates for Patch Tuesday

It's another Patch Tuesday, with this month's update including a slew of security fixes in a cumulative update for Internet Explorer. The most important patch on the list blocks an Office exploit that's already being used in "limited attacks" in the wild.

US declares cybercrime a 'national emergency', threatens sanctions against hackers, online espionage

An executive order authorizes a set of new sanctions against individuals or groups whose cyber attacks result in significant threats to US national security or economic health.

Premera Blue Cross hit by "sophisticated" hack, 11M affected

The multi-state health insurance company was attacked in January and is working with the FBI to determine the cause of the breach.

Here Comes Surface 3

Surface 3 is nothing less than a lower-cost Surface Pro 3. And that’s a good thing, as it will open up Microsoft’s “tablet that can replace your laptop” design to a much wider audience.

Windows 10 to launch 'this summer' with free upgrades even for pirated copies

Windows 10 is officially in the home stretch, with Microsoft's top Windows executive committing to a summer launch date and, in a surprise announcement, offering free upgrades on PCs running pirated editions of earlier Windows versions.

 

Computer Tips and Tricks

9 Tips for Faster Wi-Fi Streaming

What actions can you take to increase your Wi-Fi performance and get your streaming speed back up to par?

Changing names again: ‘Metro’ becomes ‘Windows’

An obscure notice that ‘Metro apps’ are now ‘Windows apps’ leaves more than a few Windows observers confused. Microsoft has a long history of bungled product branding, but its latest decision plumbs new depths.

The Best Antivirus for 2015

These days, there's no question that keeping your computer safe from malware and other threats should be a top priority. We've tested more than 30 premium AV packages to help you choose the one that's right to protect your PC.

Removing admin rights would ease 97 percent of critical Microsoft flaws

Almost every critical vulnerability in Microsoft software published in 2014 could have been mitigated simply by removing admin rights from users, UK security firm Avecto has calculated after studying Patch Tuesday advisories for the year.

9 compelling reasons to keep your old computer instead of upgrading

Few can withstand the siren song of the latest and greatest gear, the deep allure of a new and shiny gadget—but that doesn’t mean that tossing your old computer in the trash and picking up a fresh PC is necessarily a smart idea.

 

Mobile Computing

4 ways your Android device is tracking you (and how to stop it)

You also have the option of turning your history off—or, at the very least, you can take a peek at what's being saved. Read on for four ways your Android device is watching you.

Best free Android productivity apps and launchers

Since Android lets app makers do certain things that Apple prohibits, there are a few exclusive options that stand out.

Apple Releases Major Updates for Both Mac OS X and iOS8

It's apparently patch day at Apple, and the Cupertino company has loosed major updates for both Max OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 out into the wild. Here are the highlights of each.

The 100 Best Android Apps of 2015, So Far

This list covers everything you need, from comic books, to finance, to secure messaging services.

How to Share Your Smartphone’s Internet Connection: Hotspots and Tethering Explained

Practically all smartphones can tether, sharing their data connection with your other devices. You can do this over Wi-Fi, a USB cable, or Bluetooth — if your carrier lets you. You might have to pay extra.

No comments: