Thursday, May 29, 2008

Firefox Three 99% Ready to Go.

A few days ago I wrote that Firefox had made Release Candidate 1 of the new Version 3 available for download. It had some bugs, so they are now preparing Release Candidate 2 with a public release date of this beta on June 5. The final code is now frozen, meaning that this is the final version. The final version of Firefox V3 will officially be released in the second week of June.

Mozilla, makers of Firefox, is organizing a “Download Day” to promote Firefox 3.0 and set a Guinness World Record for the most downloaded software in 24 hours. This seems a little scary to me as I fear their servers might get overloaded and cause problems. I hope it won't backfire on them. Based on my testing, Firefox V.3 looks like an outstanding product...not only in my opinion, but also the opinions of many other tech writers who are testing it. It is smaller, faster, and has some nice new features. This could be a big winner for them.

As for the FoxMarks add-in, I received a nice reply to my last blog from a fellow who works at FoxMarks. They are releasing a new version of FoxMarks for Firefox 3...and, in fact, it arrived just yesterday. That is good news as FoxMarks is an outstanding add-in that keeps all your bookmarks on all your computers fully synchronized. It is one of the most useful tools in my arsenal.

As for other add-ins, the most important ones all seem to be upgrading to run on V.3.

No comments: