Monday, May 19, 2008

Tech Odds and Ends

This is a follow-up on some things I have written about recently as well as a quick look at some new things you might find interesting.

Firefox 3

This new version of the Firefox Web Browser is still in final testing now, and you can download the final release candidate for previewing. I have been testing it and found it to be a very nice upgrade. Memory usage has been vastly improved. One of its most prominent new feature is the innovative address bar. It is like a search engine in that when you type in something, it searches for web sites you have visited in the past that might fit the description. For instance, I typed in "blog, " and I got a drop-down list of several possible Web sites, including the one I was looking for. This could save you time searching on Google. You can read more about it at:

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9944662-2.html?

New USB Flash Drive

In a recent blog, I talked about buying a new 4Gb USB Flash Drive, the "Flash Voyager." It was a little slower on the speed tests than what I was led to believe, but it is still faster than my last drive and bigger too.

Windows Live Writer

You may have noticed a substantial increase in output for my two blogs. Well, blame Microsoft's free Windows Live Writer. What a great program! It makes me feel like a real writer, if that makes any sense. One always needs the right environment to be creative, and this software provides it. And, now it is installed on my flash drive so it goes everywhere with me.

iPod and iTunes

Am loving my new iPod Classic with an 80Gb drive. I have copied over my music from 300-400 CD's plus other music I already had on my Computer. I still have about 1/2 of the drive available for more. Also am subscribing to several podcasts through iTunes that are automatically added to my iPod when they become available. My podcasts are tech and photography based (and, of course, "Car Talk"). Now instead of music when I go out for exercise, I listen to these and the time just flies. Sort of like Books-on-Tape in the car (I have these also on the iPod). However, I think if I were starting over, I might consider using MediaMonkey rather than iTunes.

More on AVG Anti-Virus

When doing searches with Google, the new AVG checks each Web site on the search list for malicious code. It puts a green checkmark next to the search. And because I also use McAfee Siteadvisor in my browser, both of them show up with search results. Now that is what I call great redundancy. I am embarrassed to say that AVG has found additional trojans and spyware on all my computers. It has also found remnants of removed malware in backup directories...meaning that if I had to do a system restore, all those viruses and spyware that I have already removed would be put back on the system.

Save XP Petition

Its been four months since InfoWorld magazine asked businesses and individuals to sign a petition at SaveXP.com requesting Microsoft keep Windows XP for sale beyond the planned June 30 general end-of-sales date. So far, more than 200,000 have signed up to add their voices. As of May 15, the count was 200,805 signatures, excluding duplicates and fake sign-ups. I signed up.

Microsoft and Yahoo

Word is out that Microsoft and Yahoo have renewed negotiations for an acquisition. This time around, however, Microsoft says they are only want to buy part of Yahoo. Many knowledgeable folks think this would be bad for both companies. I agree. The hidden message here is that Microsoft is finally coming to the realization that only offering an operating system and office software is a slowly dying business model . The future is Web-oriented...computing services are starting to move to the Net rather than on your computer.

Leo LaPorte

If you miss TechTV and such great programs as "Call for Help" and "The Screen Savers." don't despair. Leo LaPorte, the host of those two shows and others is alive and well and putting out several podcasts and Internet TV shows. He is about ready to start 25 hours per week of live Internet TV shows. You can check out all this and subscribe to some or all of his podcasts at http://www.twit.tv/. A few years ago, TechTV was bought out by G4TV. If you ever want to watch some of the most brainless TV shows you have ever seen, watch G4 sometime for about 5 minutes. Pity our youth and our future.

Cranky Geek's

And speaking of Internet TV, you might want to check out the "Cranky Geek's" Internet TV show hosted by long-time PC Magazine columnist John C Dvorak. It's usually about 30 minutes long. It is fun and informative. Dvorak is a curmudgeon, no doubt about that. But, make no mistake, he knows his stuff. It is at http://www.crankygeeks.com/

Vista Infections

Is Vista is less secure than Windows 2000? That claim was made last week by security vendor PC Tools, which said that over the past six months Vista had suffered 639 unique threats, whereas Windows 2000 has suffered 586. Microsoft's response: user complacency is responsible for the increase in infections. They say Vista is far more secure than Windows 2000 and blame users for executing malicious code on their machines. Damn users...how dare you all ruin Microsoft's perfect operating system. (Maybe I'm becoming a "Cranky Geek.")

No comments: