Monday, January 05, 2009

Hello Again…This Time from Tucson

I know its been a while since I wrote a technology blog. Some of you maybe wondering what happened to me…and some of you know what happened to me.

But, if you don’t, here is a quick synopsis. I no longer live in Ephrata…and I am no longer married (How is that for being concise). For the last few months I have been traveling around the western United States taking photographs and writing a blog about my experiences (http://postcards.corkrum.com). So, I really didn’t have time to follow the tech world or check out new software, or any of the enjoyable techie things I have been doing for over 10 years. I lived in my van mostly, or hotels and my only companions were my cameras, my Blackberry, and laptop (and my GPS unit and iPod).

But, when winter closed in, my traveling became very restricted (like to southern Arizona), so I took a place in Tucson, a city a fell in love with when I visited here a year ago). So now, I have my desktop computer back up and running and am taking great pleasure in following and exploring technology on a regular basis…and now I want to write about it again.

You don’t know how close I came to writing my last “Rants and Raves” blog, closing it down forever. But, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. But I also have a dilemma in that I really don’t have time to do two complete blogs.

I love writing my “Postcards” blog as it is so personal and I get to stretch my creative juices a lot farther…so I am not giving that one up. What I have decided to do is change the format of this blog slightly.

As I follow technology, I read many interesting articles, most of which I don’t have time to explore or write about. So now I am going to take those articles, write a quick synopsis, and put them in this blog, along with a link. Every couple of days of will publish my blog.

I am going to cover the same kinds of things that I have always covered: news, new technologies, great free programs, computers, software, digital photography, and so on. You can then choose to click the link and read more or just skip it. But, I will still write the occasional in-depth blog about things I find truly wonderful.

I think this solves my problem as I can assemble these links as I go along with my daily routine. And, in so many way, it goes back to my original newsletter format that I used to email out weekly for so many years. Want to know what it is going to look like? Well here are a couple of very interesting articles with links that I found in the last two days:

Internet Explorer Loses Market Share - PC World

The market share for Internet Explorer continues its downward spiral, while Firefox, Apple's Safari, and Google's Chrome browsers all increased their share. Firefox is now at 20%

Secunia Personal Software Inspector

A terrific free software program that can help protect you from security holes in your software. Secunia PSI seeks to address an often-overlooked software security issue: the out-of-date program. It makes sure that your applications are up-to-date, which is great not only for ensuring you've got the latest features, but it also takes care of any bug-fixes that might patch previously-unknown exploits. What's important about Secunia is that while it will notify you of updates, it only provides direct links. It won't automatically upgrade your software unless you tell it to.

Windows Starter Kit: Must-have PC apps | The Download Blog - Download.com

In this edition of the Download.com Windows Starter Kit, we've expanded our collection to include both the recommended free programs you've come to expect from us, and suitable alternatives if our choice doesn't make your grade. This year's categories include Web browsers, e-mail clients, office and productivity tools, parenting, image editors, music jukeboxes, video jukeboxes and players, file compressors, chatware, torrent clients, and seven five-star, must-have utilities.


So, what do you think? I have given you an interesting article and some good free software downloads. By the way, I am using Secunia and it does a great job. Recommended.

So, I will keep this blog going, which probably makes both of us happy. More soon!

No comments: