Friday, December 24, 2004

More on Computer Security

As promised in yesterday's journal entry, we will explore more security issues, especially as it concerns using the Internet. If you haven't read yesterday's blog yet, please do. If you have read it, read it again so that you understand why it is imperative that you use a firewall.

With that said, let's move along to the other issues I mentioned. At this point, I am going to ask you to read another article...this one by noted security expert Bruce Schneier, Chief Technical Officer for Counterpain Internet Security Company. He wrote this article for folks like you and me who can't afford a security company to come in and make our systems secure. To read his article, click on this link.

Now, I want to comment and expand on a couple of issues he raises:

Laptops: Buy a cable lock for your laptop if it has a place to connect it. This allows you to secure your laptop to a table or chair or something else when you are not at home. That way, if you are at Starbucks, you can get up and get another cup of coffee without someone running off with your computer. They work with a simple combination lock and they work well.

Backups: When backing up data to CD-R or CD-RW disks, be sure and buy a quality brand. In the past, I have written about cheaper CD's and how they can loose data in just a few years. It happened to me. I recommend you buy TDK brand. And don't put paper labels on them as their is some evidence that paper labels tend to promote degeneration. Use a permanent marker.

Browsing: Check out Firefox, Maxthon or Opera for alternative web browsers.

Passwords: I use different passwords as the article suggests. I have three for financial institutions, one for e-mail passwords, and another for the low-level web sites. There are also some secure web sites I use that assign me my user ID and passwords. To remember them all, I created a Word document that is password protected so that it can't be opened without the proper password. There are also encrypted software programs that will store your passwords for you.

E-Mail: Have one e-mail that you use when ordering products or giving out to the general public. Have a second e-mail address for private correspondence with friends and relatives. You might even consider using a second software e-mail program for your private letters. In either case, always have your anti-virus program running and you probably need a junk-mail filter.

Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware software: I recommend Avast for your anti-virus software and Spybot - Search and Destroy for your anti-spyware software. They are both free.

Firewall: By way of explanation, a "Network Address Translator firewall device" referred to in the article is normally called a Router in stores. It is not needed if you have just one computer in your home. A software firewall like the built-in firewall in Windows XP SP2 or Zone Alarm will work fine. If you have two or more computers, a router is recommend as you can link your two computers together behind a firewall and share resources.

Wireless: Although not talked about in the article, it should be mentioned. I love having wireless in my house so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house or even outside without having to run a wire to it. Also, any of my house guests with a laptop can have connections to the world. But, unless you use some sort of encryption, everybody within a few hundred feet of your home can have access to your system. Most wireless routers feature encryption, but if you use it, you have to set it up for your guests when they want to use it.

Here is my solution: I set up a separate wireless router behind my wired router so that the wireless system is blocked from accessing any other computers on the network. That means that people can use my uncrypted wireless system to browse the web or get e-mail, but can't get access to any other computers in the house. I set up a special exemption for my laptop only so that it can have access.

I hope these last two blogs will help you think about your own security. It is important. Please write me if you have any suggestions or questions.





No comments: