Saturday, December 11, 2004

Computer Destroys Rose Bowl

OK. This is a rant. I originally had no plans to write about this, as mad as I am, but another reporters on CNET did write about it, so I am just passing it along. If you don't care about football, don't read any further.

As many of you long time readers know, I am an avid football fan, both college and pro. I don't care any more about any other sports (Ok, so I did watch the Red Sox in Game 7 against the Yankees). I also grew up in Northern California, so I have been a lifelong fan of the Cal Bears and the Stanford Cardinal (they were the Indians when I grew up). And, of course, that makes me a fan of the Rose Bowl. Having moved to the Northwest, I am also a fan of the two Washington schools, and even Oregon schools.

I love the tradition...Big 10 against PAC10. That is the way it supposed to be. I watch the teams in those two conferences on TV more than any other just so I can see who will make it to the Rose Bowl. Since USC is going to play for the National Championship in the Orange Bowl, I rooted all year for the Cal Bears so they can make it to the Rose Bowl. And they rewarded my cheering by winning all their games, except to USC, where they just barely lost.

But what happens? This idiotic system they call the BCS, put Texas ahead of Cal after the last game, even though Cal won their game and Texas didn't even play. That means Texas will be in the Rose Bowl against Michigan of the Big 10. That is stupid!!! Cal belongs in the Rose Bowl. PAC10 teams go to the Rose Bowl, not Texas teams!! All us west coast football fans were cheated...and by a computerized system that doesn't work.

Needless to say, I will be not be watching the Rose Bowl this year, for the first time in many, many years. I hope you won't either. If you would like to read Jeff Pelline's excellent article on CNET, the link is below. I think he is even madder than me. Thanks for letting me rant.

http://news.com.com/Technology+trumps+Rose+Bowl+tradition/2100-1026_3-5478508.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Roc'l - looks like I get to be your first blog comment!

Because of a very good friend of mine (S), I know what a blog is and have, in fact, posted on hers a time or two!

I haven't yet caught up on yours--reading from bottom to top until I'm current--but I had to post when I saw this one. I sent your original e-mail to several friends, including S and her very good friend D ... who lives in Texas!

Looking forward to your technology information again, Jim ... in whatever form it takes!