Sunday, December 05, 2004

Receive Emergency Information for Free

As the first snow falls in our part of the Pacific Northwest, I am reminded of a great free service that sends out emergency warnings via e-mail. The Emergency E-Mail and Wireless Network has been around for several years. Its specific function is to send out emergency notifications about forthcoming bad weather or other natural disasters.

Since 911, it has expanded its scope of operations to include updated Homeland Security notifications, local emergency information and health warnings. They have expanded their service to include cell phone and pager notification. It is a great service that everyone should subscribe to.

On September 11, 2001, I sat at my computer early in the morning, working away before heading off to my regular job. An e-mail arrived from the Emergency Network informing me that an airplane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. It was these folks that first alerted me to what was going on.

This morning, I received information about our snowstorms and how long they are expected to last. I also get information on severe weather such as extreme wind chills and dangerous driving conditions.

If you would like more information and want to sign up, go to their website at:

http://www.emergencyemail.org/

No comments: